Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,754 Posts
They used to be one of my customers.
Can't remember the guy's name of the top of my head but their chief tooling engineer was an old school engineer...bin there, done it, wrote the book and designed the tee shirt. Didn't suffer fools gladly and the pair of us got on like a house on fire.
I think we agreed more deals by the coffee machine or outside having a ciggy then we ever did in his office.
Guys like him were getting fewer and fewer, new blood brought up on computers and not getting their hands dirty. I never could get on with them sort.

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
21,943 Posts
They used to be one of my customers.
Can't remember the guy's name of the top of my head but their chief tooling engineer was an old school engineer...bin there, done it, wrote the book and designed the tee shirt. Didn't suffer fools gladly and the pair of us got on like a house on fire.
I think we agreed more deals by the coffee machine or outside having a ciggy then we ever did in his office.
Guys like him were getting fewer and fewer, new blood brought up on computers and not getting their hands dirty. I never could get on with them sort.
Know it all, know nowt breed are just a damaging drain on the country:frown2::frown2:

·
22,754 Posts
Know it all, know nowt breed are just a damaging drain on the country:frown2::frown2:
My problem is that I spent almost all my working life with old school engineers.
Some with very few qualifications but a wealth of experience, some with very high qualifications but earned the hard way, often at night school.
All quite prepared to get their jackets off and their hands dirty, all very capable.
Worked all around the world with engineers from major car plants, steel works, component suppliers and whatever, didn't matter what language they spoke, they were engineers and we understood each other.
Then, as apprenticships died out and higher level jobs were invariably filled with oiks with degrees, the rot set in, more interest in buzz words, statistics and FMEA (failure mode effect analysis) along with project schedules such as critical path analysis then actually getting the job done.
Ridiculous when a project could be deemed a failure cos the paperwork was wrong even though it did all it should.
And vice versa...we've ticked all the boxes so it is good to go....but does it work ? (Boeing software ? )

Sorry, rant over.

·
21,943 Posts
My problem is that I spent almost all my working life with old school engineers.
Some with very few qualifications but a wealth of experience, some with very high qualifications but earned the hard way, often at night school.
All quite prepared to get their jackets off and their hands dirty, all very capable.
Worked all around the world with engineers from major car plants, steel works, component suppliers and whatever, didn't matter what language they spoke, they were engineers and we understood each other.
Then, as apprenticships died out and higher level jobs were invariably filled with oiks with degrees, the rot set in, more interest in buzz words, statistics and FMEA (failure mode effect analysis) along with project schedules such as critical path analysis then actually getting the job done.
Ridiculous when a project could be deemed a failure cos the paperwork was wrong even though it did all it should.
And vice versa...we've ticked all the boxes so it is good to go....but does it work ? (Boeing software ? )

Sorry, rant over.
Not a rant at all mate its the truth, theory never cut it with me but hands on wins every time and that is a fact, manual wins over theory,fact!:wink2:

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,433 Posts
Don't get me started on this one.
me as well in collage we learnt theory, that eve in the workshop as was told now try it theory is just that it dont always work just helps you understand it , then when you go back to work for the rest of the week you learn ten times more

the reason we was wanted in Germany there workers learnt a bit of this and that, master of none, after 4 years when we came home what had the gov done the same as Germany and then saying we have no skilled workers left ,then say we have to import skilled workers old saying **** up in a brewery gov cant evan do that with out an assessment

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
I used to design pressure vessels. We had a very good shop. Got an ASME U stamp first attempt. All the welders were farm sons. They joked about coming to the shop for a break from their real job.
So we're up to our necks in Big Oil* inspectors for this offshore thing. Paperwork from supplier of big flange not in order, delay, delay, delay. Eventually the bits turn up, 1/4 ton metal, 1/4 ton paper each. In go the paper boys verifying and validating and assurancing in all directions.

Dimensional inspector, check
Material inspector, check
Heat treat signatures all present, furnace chart check

Ultrasound, check
Xray check
You may proceed to use this component..........
Bloody hell no wonder petrol is so dear.
So Mick says, let's present it up and do a few tacks, ready for the morning.
First tip of the rod and he's flipping up the mask.
Something wrong here...... and there was. Thing had never seen the inside of the oven as it turned out.
Now try explaining that to the paper boys without sounding like a necromancer.

* the thing what Tony Curtis showed Marilyn Monroe

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Brexit confusion (where is the United Kingdom going?) and we're going to be going electric anyway. It won't be the last.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,486 Posts
We are going to see a lot of this..
Electric engines, no sensors really needed, so one sector gone..
Battery makers, another one..

Filters, only will need two now instead of the 4..

Spark plugs ( so champion , and the likes, ) Glow plugs..

Lots of things being taken off,

Anyone remember how many jobs went, when points dizzys and condensers were not used..

Diesel and Petrol sales will drop, so more little forecourts will shut..

And thats just looking under the bonnet lid..
Dealers will have to send their Techs on courses, someone will need to pay, labour charges will rise for eleccy cars as opposed to the other fuels..

5 years time, when it all kicks off, and all these idiots have realised what a bo77ock drop they have made. It will be too late..

Glad to say ( Selfish as it may seem ) Leccy cars will have no impact on me..
But any one under 40, ..
These are going to pay a high price for this technology, wont be a mornings wage to buy a Car on HP, it will be a full days pay..

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Over this side they are talking about a ban on oil and gas heating for new homes. Want us all to get heat pumps. Add that to the electric car and wait for the power cuts to happen.
Whatever happened to redundancy and resilience in systems. Single point failure and so on. At least now there are options. The whole place will go ape at a power cut and they will be on the streets.

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Saw a news report today saying that the closing of the engine plant in My native wales is due to the lack of demand for the Jaguar/Land rover Dragon Ford engines.. Jaguar land rover are undergoing a slump in demand for their cars so no engines needed..its as simple as that..:frown2:

·
22,754 Posts
.....Anyone remember how many jobs went, when points dizzys and condensers were not used................
A manager at a company I worked for had an often voiced ambition to make something for a penny, that everyone wanted and would pay a shilling for.
That is what the likes of Lucas had in points and condensers.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
2,805 Posts
We are going to see a lot of this..

Electric engines, no sensors really needed, so one sector gone..

Battery makers, another one..

Filters, only will need two now instead of the 4..

Spark plugs ( so champion , and the likes, ) Glow plugs..

Lots of things being taken off,

Anyone remember how many jobs went, when points dizzys and condensers were not used..

Diesel and Petrol sales will drop, so more little forecourts will shut..

And thats just looking under the bonnet lid..

Dealers will have to send their Techs on courses, someone will need to pay, labour charges will rise for eleccy cars as opposed to the other fuels..

5 years time, when it all kicks off, and all these idiots have realised what a bo77ock drop they have made. It will be too late..

Glad to say ( Selfish as it may seem ) Leccy cars will have no impact on me..

But any one under 40, ..

These are going to pay a high price for this technology, wont be a mornings wage to buy a Car on HP, it will be a full days pay..

Might have to consider a hybrid to get your enthusiasm up a bit Stu. Be great to see you spannering in your wellies and rubber gimp suit...
I could sell the photos around the area to offset the cost, sure the lads on here would enjoy too buddy

·
21,943 Posts
Saw a news report today saying that the closing of the engine plant in My native wales is due to the lack of demand for the Jaguar/Land rover Dragon Ford engines.. Jaguar land rover are undergoing a slump in demand for their cars so no engines needed..its as simple as that..:frown2:
Soooo no engines needed then obviously no vehicles needed, net result! total shutdown:frown2::frown2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts