Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It'll be MOT next month and I think at least one balljoint will need replacing.

What do you chaps think about FAI car parts. They are available on ebay and are apparently 'not a cheap import', although they are quite cheap.:d

Regarding the balljoints, I gather they are a bast*rd to do, so often the whole lower arm is replaced.

That is an expensive option, so just how hard are they to do. Does the arm need to come off anyway in order to press the old balljoint out and the new one in?
cheers

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
FAI parts are fine,I've used them a few times in the past without problems.

The joints are easy enough to do,you will need to remove the wishbone to have the old one pressed out and the new one pressed back in though.I'm sure someone will say that they changed theres with a big hammer,but personally I wouldn't recommend it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, thanks.
Would it possible to press them out and in myself, using a bench vice and sockets?

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
You could give it a go,you're more likely to damage your vice than you are the wishbone which is one plus side of not trying the 'big hammer' method.Just make sure you use some shatter proof sockets.

If the vice isn't man enough then at least you have the option of taking the wishbones somewhere with a press,if you start hitting things with hammers you could very easily mess the new joint up or the wishbone or both.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha, I don't hit things with hammers, except nails.:d

I have access to a good vice that I have used before to replace the main centre bush on a Vitara axle. Hell of a job, but do able.

I'll see what the MOT says, then I'll know if I have a busy w/e after that.:d

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.