Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i just purchased a can clip and made a diagnosis on my Renault espace 4 phase 1. Got a problem because engine dont start. First the problem was the caudalimeter but i purchased a new one and fixed the problem but still dont start. When i run the diagnosis of the Control modules, all of em except the ECU show the VIN of the vehicle. ECU show XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX number. Can be this the problem of the engine not starting?. The car try to start and the starter runs smooth but when starter cut off the engine stops. The exaust drop some fog, not black or blue nor white, normal fog. All the parameters seems to be ok and shows on the clip. And no fault codes appear.

I made some restauration on the car, new turbo, new timing belt, new oil pump. But checked all of this a few times and seems ok. Any idea?

Super mod..
Thread moved to Electronics..

Super mod..
Oh, thank you.
No problem thats what I am here for .. community support is for messages to Canada the site owner.. if there is something about the make up of the site you dont like hit them in a message there and they will came back and reply in that section.. [eventually ] <<< lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is some ECU selling in internet reproggramed to plug and play on the car, they say you connecto it and the ECu reprograms itself, its that true?

Registered
There is some ECU selling in internet reproggramed to plug and play on the car, they say you connecto it and the ECu reprograms itself, its that true?
Partially true. If your car has an immobiliser, which it most likely does. The ECU would need be programmed to match the VIN. Otherwise your car just won't start as a security feature stop obviously stop theft of the vehicle.

Just so we're clear here. Have you fitted a new ECU or changed any major modules?

Also, I'm guessing you purchase a clone Clip? If so, there is some units out there that are really shoddy and just aren't capable of doing what the seller says its capable of doing.

If you have a way to programme the ECU. Why not match up your VIN yourself using your Clip? Your VIN should be on a sticker in one the door shuts, or in the window screen.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The modules are the originals. First I had the Ren.com diagnosis tool. Maybe I did something wrong with it to **** off the ecu.
Is it possible to change the Vin with the clip?
Was reading that opening the ecu and flashing a virgin.bin program will fix the problem but open the ecu can be tricky.

Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
Hi, I think you need to be sure the ecu is defective before trying anything that could make things worse. You say the engine is trying to start and does smoke, to me this sounds like the injectors could be firing and it is something like incorrect cam timing that is the problem. What about checking the injectors are firing using a noid tester?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wonder if there is something i can do with the clip to check if the ECU is running smooth or not, or if its sending the inyectors pulse. I have no osciloscope afaik. The XXXXXXXXXXXX code instead of the VIN number is what makes me think about the ecu fault.

Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
Lets start at the beginning
How long you had the car
Whats a caudalimeter
What actually happened, was it starting/running before you did a restoration
IGNORE THE Vin, at this point,
Just answer THESE questions listed

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had the car for 10 years now, i mean the air flow meter, sorry for the translate :)
Yeah, it worked before. Its after that the engine dont start.

Im 99 % sure is not a timing problem, i checked the timing belt 3 times, with the official tools and following the renault handbook.

I checked the fuel pump, the inyectors outside the engine and lot of other things and everything looks good.

Registered
Had the car for 10 years now, i mean the air flow meter, sorry for the translate :)

Im 99 % sure is not a timing problem, i checked the timing belt 3 times, with the official tools and following the renault handbook.

I checked the fuel pump, the inyectors outside the engine and lot of other things and everything looks good.
What are your readings from the MAF sensor? Just because it's new, doesn't mean it works. How did you determine that your old MAF was at fault?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the output voltage was 0, now its 0.6 volts ond standby. And adding some air it fluctuate. So looks good for me. And the reference signals both are 5 Volts

Registered
@LvR sorry for bothering you, but this thread seems to be something you might be interested sharing your views on.

Premium Member
Scenic II, 2004, K4MW761, DPO
Hello all, i just purchased a can clip and made a diagnosis on my Renault espace 4 phase 1. Got a problem because engine dont start. First the problem was the caudalimeter but i purchased a new one and fixed the problem but still dont start. When i run the diagnosis of the Control modules, all of em except the ECU show the VIN of the vehicle. ECU show XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX number. Can be this the problem of the engine not starting?. The car try to start and the starter runs smooth but when starter cut off the engine stops. The exaust drop some fog, not black or blue nor white, normal fog. All the parameters seems to be ok and shows on the clip. And no fault codes appear.

I made some restauration on the car, new turbo, new timing belt, new oil pump. But checked all of this a few times and seems ok. Any idea?
So the engine ran before all your work ......................

1. Is there fresh fuel in the tank?

2. Why was any "work" required?
3. If the flowmeter was identified as being faulty ....................how and why was that done on a running engine?
4. So you fitted a "new" flowmeter and it "fixed the problem" according to you ................ exactly what problem then got fixed?
5. Why are you not using the old flowmeter that had the engine running before? - what is the current flowmeter reading (in g/s or kg/hr) with the ignition on and engine not running? .............. and the reading while you try to start?

After WHAT EXACTLY?

If you cannot say 100% you need to check it again imo .............

Well - assuming you have a diesel - with no intake obstruction preventing air entering - you need only compression and fuel at the right time in order to make it go boom ....................

Obviously, something you did changed or removed the presence of one or more of those...........

6. How did you check the pump? - EXACTLY?
7. Common rail diesel eh - what is the rail pressure ( in Bar) measured and requested?
8. What is the current compression on each of the cylinders?
9. How did you check the injectors? - EXACTLY? ..................why did you even suspect more than one injector on an already known to be running engine to start with?
10. Will the engine start and/or run with easy start?

"Lots of other things"? ................ what "things" - because obviously, you didn't check the thing that got screwed in your efforts

As @ours2012 implied, YOU changed something you are not telling us anything about - the computers more than likely didn't - so forget about ALL the computers for now and answer the very basic questions about all your work in/with the detail requested

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok lets start from the begining, i bought the car 10 years ago with a refurbished engine. Its a renault espace phase 1 2.2 dci.
On september i decided to take off the engine to fix a big leaking oil and change the belts. Found a new turbo cheap and decided to change it also. So i took off the engine, changed the belts, the water pump, the carter gasket, the turbo, some other gaskets, rod bushes and the water thermostat. (sorry for my translate, maybe some words are not the right ones)

Then i mounted the engine but couldnt manage to start it. When i took of the inyectors forgot to number it, so now they dont match the ECU order. So i bought the ren-com diagnosis to change the numbers, but couldnt manage to do it.

So i checked the timing belt again, the fuel pump presure with a special presure gauge, started the engine with the inyectors out to check the fuel atomization and all was looking good. All of this following the Renault service handbook and using the correct torque.

So i purchased the can-clip tool and made a full diagnosis with it, some other faults was on the memory but all the modules was communicating ok.

Then i checked in the diagnosis a MAF fault, so checked all the wires and connections and checked the MAF itself, so i saw it was not giving away the signal voltage. So purchased a new one and now fault is gone and air flow values looks fine on standby, 0.6 volts as handbook says.

Also checked the battery, full charged it drops 13.3 Volts.

This friday i will do the compresion test, as i got the kit yesterday at home ands im on a travel right now.

Im 99% sure on all the steps i did, im not a profesional mechanic, so cant be 100% sure at all, but i put my hand on fire its all good.

I will note all the parameters to add it to the post as soon as i can.

Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy

Reactions: LvR

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the link. I was worried about that issue on the hp pump posssition. I just took the old one off and added the new one blocking any movement. After that I checked all the marks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, i made today the compression test with a 40 euro kit, donno how acurate it can be, but got the same values in every cilinder, between 19 and 20 bars. Optimal is 25 looking at the handbook, but as the engine is cold and got no lubrication, donno if its still too low or its ok.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts