Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv'e just had my mot done and failed on
  • Nearside Front Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn FRONT BUSH (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Also, advisory was
  • Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint has slight play (5.3.4 (a) (i))
The mechanic told me to replace both suspension arms which come with bushings and ball joints. However, you can see from the advisory that its only the ball joint that needs replacing. So why is he telling me to replace both suspenion arms when I only need 1 suspenion arm and 1 ball joint which attatches to the suspension arm? Or am I mistaken for a totally diffetent part

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
It's normally easier and faster to replace the whole arm. Also, with suspension, it can be good practice to replace everything in pairs. I do this as a matter of course, If one side has failed, the other is usually not too far behind.

Reactions: batfink5

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But its saying i only need to replace ball joint for that one advisory, why should I pay extra for a whole arm when I could purchase the ball joint on its own and is cheaper

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
I gave you a reason, and the way I do it and why. If you feel you only wish to to it that way, the go ahead. It's entirely your call.

Reactions: batfink5

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see, I was thinking the mechanic is trying to rip me off lol.

Also had another minor defect:

Nearside Front Outer Drive shaft joint constant velocity boot severely deteriorated

Would it be better to replace the joint or just the boot which is the rubber seal?

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,948 Posts
Test reports are notoriously difficult to interpret sometimes. The way I read the fail items is that the arm bush is gone and the ball joint. Depending on the car a new arm has bush and ball joint. Replacing a bush can be a pig.
The boot can be replaced. Depends on how long the joint has or has not been exposed to the elements. Deteriorated is not split ( maybe). Odds on it's perishing but the joint is still ok.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,721 Posts
But its saying i only need to replace ball joint for that one advisory, why should I pay extra for a whole arm when I could purchase the ball joint on its own and is cheaper
Cause it is easier to replace the whole arm and chances are, if the ball joint has gone, the bush at the other end has not long left

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,948 Posts
Just get confirmation of exactly what the tester was on about.
Terminology is tricky and the same words can mean different things to different people.
Some of the testers here have taken to marking the offending items with tippex and marking the car diagram on the fail sheet with noughts and crosses.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got confirmation from mechanic and told me its only the rubber that is advisory not the actual metal joint. Does euroxarparts just sell the rubber joint for the outer driveshaft on its own? Would this now be called a cv boot?

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,146 Posts
You can get a CV boot kit on its own. You have to take the hub nut off to get at the joint, but there are stretchable boots that will go over the joint without having to dismantle it.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,721 Posts
A CV Joint kit comes with everything, joint, boot, often a sachet of grease.
A CV boot kit is the boot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts