Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
For a few weeks, i have noticed a faint humming noise when I am driving. it usually happens when I am turning right. I initially thought that this was due to wheel bearing but have checked the wheels and the car also passed it's MOT last month. I cannot figure out what the issue could be.
This issues occurs when the driving speed is above 35 miles an hour and every time I turn right the faint humming sound comes and once i straighten up, it disappears.
Any suggestions?
MKMIR

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Still sounds like a wheel bearing to me,it may have passed it's MOT but that doesn't neccessarily mean that a bearing isn't the cause.Without any weight on the wheels and as you say it's only a faint noise,you will sometimes struggle to pick up a worn bearing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I have been told that diy wheel bearing repair is not easy with basic knowledge. I looked at the Haynes repair book and it seems one needs special tools.

Trying to save money. Any suggestions on if I can attempt the work myself?

·
Registered
57 Posts
it could be wheel bearing. jack up car and try to find movement in the wheel and have a wiggle. also it could be the bearings inside the differential. you can check for freeplay in the driveshafts where they enter the diff inside the gearbox. tj

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.