Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having a bit of trouble with the fap I bought a can clip from ebay and tried to force a regen. Now I tried a few regens, it all worked as it should have but didnt lower the amount of soot to an acceptable level,which by Renaults way of thinking means the fap should be replaced.Which I think costs in the region of £1000 from Renault.

Now, since I thought it was fubared and there was no way I was buying a new one(at the least I was going to remove it and get the ECU modified) I decided to mess about by telling the ecu that I had replaced the fap and also removed/deleted a few things in the ecu.

The result,(eventually) all working very sweetly and the ecu saying that there is 0g of soot in the fap when previoulsy it was arounf 40g after many regens/driving etc.

I hooked it up again today to see if anything had changed ie the soot level gone back up to 40g after maybe a bit of driving but no, it was reading 3g which I suspect is probably right.

So, why/what is going on?

Did the ecu get things a bit wrong and resetting it sorted it out? Have I altered the pressure sensors so they are reading wrongly the state of the fap?

Or have I just potentially saved £1000 and many others could have done the same but instead bought a new fap?

What I did notice was that the ecu thought the last time a successful regen had taken place was approx 100 miles after the car was new, and it had been trying to regen ever since but failed!

I guess there have been some faults with the system and wouldnt be surpirsed if it has happened to others I have also read otheres saying that after a few months their new fap had started to flag up warning lights etc.

Maybe why some people never seem to have a problem,ie its working as it should from day 1.

Anyway if anyone can shed a bit of light I would be more than interested to hear.

Car runs really well and will keep monitoring it for a while and post back any findings.:d

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
it may be that the sensor for it has went out side a certain threashold and with so many atempted regens failing it went awol how are you getting on with the clip ? im going to invest in 1 myself

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
If the FAP doen't get properly regenerated it may well end up blocked - well that's the theory.

Personally I haven't as yet seen the point of fitting diesel particulate filters. After all they collect the particles and then during regeneration dump their contents into the atmosphere. Even if the carbon particles are supposed to be burnt during the high temperature regeneration they just seem to be causing pollution of another kind.:confused:

It's not as if the trapped particles are captivated and disposed of in an environmental friendly manner.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it may be that the sensor for it has went out side a certain threashold and with so many atempted regens failing it went awol how are you getting on with the clip ? im going to invest in 1 myself
Thats what I was thinking, could mean that lots of people have bought new faps for no reason then!

The clip is really good, already paid for itself in my eyes.:d Plus I'm sure if I wanted to sell it it would still fetch a decent price.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the FAP doen't get properly regenerated it may well end up blocked - well that's the theory.

Personally I haven't as yet seen the point of fitting diesel particulate filters. After all they collect the particles and then during regeneration dump their contents into the atmosphere. Even if the carbon particles are supposed to be burnt during the high temperature regeneration they just seem to be causing pollution of another kind.:confused:

It's not as if the trapped particles are captivated and disposed of in an environmental friendly manner.

They do seem fairly pointless especially when you take into consideration they use a lot of diesel when regenerating and the mpg is lower due to more back pressure etc.

Plus I bet the carbon footprint in manufacturing, testing,fitting etc etc wipes out any benefits from the start.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi mezza im going to remove the dpf could you please tell me how to remove the files from ecu using clip?
thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts