Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2 months of limp mode and a lot of saving. I decided to go and have the FAP filter removed.

Firstly I was quoted by Renault Blackpool £180 for a regeneration and the mechanic said I'd be back within 6 months and went on about so many times and it will need replacing. I got a quote for a new filter and was quoted nearly £2,000 and then I would get the same problem in the future. I decided to track down someone to remove it.

It now gone and for me there will be no more particle filter lights, engine in limp mode or low MPG, as the offending part is gone.

So what? You ask, I'll tell you, I have a Laguna II Dynamic 130bhp, and now the car goes like I've never experienced, so much more power and I mean so much more to the point of having torque steering on full throttle, and touch the throttle at 70 and you have to hold back very quickly or your licence is at risk. The car is also returning a higher MPG about 60mpg at 75mph. The car has 75k on the clock and feels better than new. (I've had the car since new).

I fully recommend having it removed.

Kev

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The DPF filters can be a nuisance and seem to affect performance - not just Renaults by the way.

Apart from having the filter itself removed what else was needed. Who done the work and what was the cost.

I'm sure such information would be geatly valuable to other members.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Opps sorry,

Ok, I had the filter removed by

Andy @ MB Services
Upwell Street
Sheffield
SA4 8AN

He Charges £400 for the job it takes 2 hours. He did drop the price for me, as I had to travel from Lancashire.

I asked what is done and he stated that: they remove the existing filter and cut out the contents and re weld it back together. They then access the Engine Management and removed the programme that controls the FAP.

All I did was take the car in with the DPF filter light on and the car in limp mode and drove it out beeming with the result.

Kev

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
The DPF filters can be a nuisance and seem to affect performance - not just Renaults by the way.

Apart from having the filter itself removed what else was needed. Who done the work and what was the cost.

I'm sure such information would be geatly valuable to other members.:)
Another question also, how is this going to affect the MOT emmisions test?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The emmisions are not changed only the particles are now not collected in the filter. The UK MOT test does not check for particles, therefore no problem.

Kev

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi Kev_gt, could i ask where you had your filter removed and a the cost as i have the same problem and no one as suggested this, just keep getting silly quotes and nowhere
cheers
Gary

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi I have linked the details in my second post on this thread. It was £400 and just to confirm the car has passed the MOT without it.
I Have had no problems with any of it so far and really pleased to not have the problem ever again.
I wasted about £100 in fuel trying to clear it through its own system. I spent a further £50 on engine/exhaust system cleaners. I bought and changed all the filters in hope that this would help to no avail. Eventually I just bit the bullet and paid the money. The thought of replacing it, it working ok for a while then not regenerating and clearing and ending up with the same problem in a couple of years, limp mode, wasting fuel, made me just want rid.

Whilst the Euro emissions is not part of the UK MOT I don't see why a car with FAP/DPF would fail on Euro emissions...

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread.........

How does this affect insurance? If the car is involved in an accident and they take the car in, and notice part of the exhaust with weld marks around where the DPF filter was, surely this would invalidate the insurance as the car has been modified - and a major component at that?

If someone can let me know ASAP please, as I want to get mine done, as it's only returning 38 to 42 MPG :-(

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,927 Posts
My insurer tells me they are not interested if the mod doesn't make more than 5% increase in power, but I would ask them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here are the details from the other thread

I had the filter removed by

Andy @ MB Services
Upwell Street
Sheffield
SA4 8AN

He Charges £400 for the job it takes 2 hours. He did drop the price for me, as I had to travel from Lancashire.

I asked what is done and he stated that: they remove the existing filter and cut out the contents and re weld it back together. They then access the Engine Management and removed the programme that controls the FAP.

The insurance..

Exhaust are modified/repaired (welding seen on the casing) all the time (btw all the welds on my exhuast are smoothed out with a professional job, to the naked eye you would never tell it had been done). Anyway as long as the car passes the MOT with it, the insurance company are really not interested. I have had mine MOT'd since having it done and all passed with flying colours. The car is a bit more smoky but the MPG makes up for the dump of grey smoke when I put my foot down.

Kev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here are the details from the other thread

I had the filter removed by

Andy @ MB Services
Upwell Street
Sheffield
SA4 8AN

The insurance..

Exhaust are modified/repaired (welding seen on the casing) all the time (btw all the welds on my exhuast are smoothed out with a professional job, to the naked eye you would never tell it had been done). Anyway as long as the car passes the MOT with it, the insurance company are really not interested. I have had mine MOT'd since having it done and all passed with flying colours. The car is a bit more smoky but the MPG makes up for the dump of grey smoke when I put my foot down.

Kev
Kev

Thanks for that.... don't fancy driving over to Sheffield at max 50mph... I can imagine the tailback when I would be going over the snake pass!

Cheers

Ste

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi there i have a friend who work's at vosa and he say's that the dpf will be an mot item within two years,any that have been removed will have to be replaced and the remaping that was done when it was removed is irreversable so a new ecu will have to be fitted.:eek:

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
hi there i have a friend who work's at vosa and he say's that the dpf will be an mot item within two years,any that have been removed will have to be replaced and the remaping that was done when it was removed is irreversable so a new ecu will have to be fitted.:eek:
If only the innards of the DPF are removed how can they tell what's inside? Under the current test rules examiners are not permitted to remove or detach any component.

Also how does your friend know the ECU remap isn't reversible - will they be electronically checking the ECU?

·
Registered
4 Posts
If only the innards of the DPF are removed how can they tell what's inside? Under the current test rules examiners are not permitted to remove or detach any component.

Also how does your friend know the ECU remap isn't reversible - will they be electronically checking the ECU?
Just had my Megane in for it's MOT and no problem with the emissions, pity the same couldn't have been said about my rear break discs....

With regards the ECU remap, this is reversible, all that is done is the actual code is removed, if you remove it you can always put it back the code that is just as if you were doing some .NET coding.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Any changes cannot be applied retrospectively. If this change does occur, it will apply for vehicles registered after a future date (which in essence means 3 years from that date - as the car's get MOT'd on their 3rd birthday).

Plenty of time & notice given, therefore for future vehicle purchase decisions.

Plus, it also has to be remembered that what may be introduced, may not actually be introduced - remember the planned bi-annual MOT?

Paul

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,927 Posts
They are now talking again of the 2 year MOT and scraping the MOT for vehicles reg before 1960, as for the retrospective thing does the warning light thing not apply to older cars? problem is the people thinking these things up have to keep changing things or they would be out of a job, and eventually hopefully not for a long time you will be lucky to get a brand new car passed a test.
Come back 1959 Morris Minor all is forgiven.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not the... I've got a friend! Makes me Giggle!

The standard of the car must only meet regulations, not manufactures specification. If its not on it and it wasn't in the regulations at the time of manufactor then it don't need it even in if it was fitted!

As for cant change the ECU..still laughing! Ever heard of rebooting a PC, well it's the same!

Nothing on a car is not replaceable!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Not the... I've got a friend! Makes me Giggle!

Every time I hear the quote I've got a friend....... it always reminds me of the scene from The Life of Brian.

You know the scene where Michaal Palin says "My fwiend Ickuth Dickuth fwom Wome"

Sorry me bad - but just couldn't resist.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
4 Posts

they will be testing particles as part of the smoke test

1 - 20 of 32 Posts