Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there.
I have a 2003 1.2 clio 52 plate.
fault code is P0170 - fuel trim malfunction - (Bank 1)
the car runs ok.. but sometimes it stutters and fails to have any get up n go when going up a hill.. moslty.
please can anyone help and advise then pm me or reply back to the OP

I think it may be the mass airflow sensor or the lambda sensor or sensors before and after the cat.. just a guess

cheers
Jay

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
4,268 Posts
found this so maybe a faulty coil dont quote me though

Code p0170 is "Fuel trim fault" and in this case it's simply telling you that you have a misfire - fuel is not being burnt in one of the cylinders so it's being picked up as an exhaust content outside the acceptable range. The vibration is because the engine's running on 3 cylinders. Bets to forget the trouble codes and go back to basics - is the injector sticking? What's compression like on that cylinder

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Fuel trim codes are a nightmare,they can be caused by many different things.You need to know if the trim is outside it's top limit or lower limit,that might help out a little.

It could be a Lambda sensor,MAP sensor,or anyone of a number of things,but it definately won't be the MAF on your car as you don't have one.:)

Reading and understanding the live data is the only way foward to get it sorted now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys
yes you are right I do not have a MAF sensor on the car.. my mate said it may be thus, so ok. point taken.
not sure re the compression on the engine not anything else as i am not a mechanic :(. but it is going in next wed to have a look over now. i was simply trying to get some sort of idea here and now and will look into the problem further before it goes to the garage.
re the injectors sticking ? not sure
and the fuel trim fault is as i first thought! that it is a missfire and not burning right hence the fault. i did say this to my mate once he had the gear to read the code fault.
so yes back to basics and we can go from there.
but any other advice would be fab before it goes to the shop
thanks guys

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is my other halfs first car..
I have never have nor ever would have bought a french car for myself, and wishing we never did this time lol. but she wants.. she gets. lol
sorry just viewing my thoughts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.