Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have ben trying to use a RAC-HP144 fault code reader to diagnose the reason why I have the "service" and engine light symbol displayed in my 2005 1.6VVT megane. The car had a major service including cam belt change at 26k and has now covered 31k.

My question is; as the megane uses a keycard system, and the diagnostic test equipment has to be connected with the ignition "off", does just inserting the card turn the ignition on? As you know simply inserting the card does not light all the dash lights!

So far everytime I try to use the fault reader it comes up with the message link failure although it is connected properly.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I'd be surprised if your code reader is even Renault compatible.

Renault use a different protocol in their ECU's so don't be surprised if you get no response.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting point. After about a dozen attempts I did eventually get it to read the code and it came up with two fault codes P0340 & P0010. The first is Camshaft Position Actuator A - Bank 1 Circuit Malfunction, the second is Camshaft PositionSensor A- Bank 1 Circuit Malfunction. I reset the warnings - all was fine for a few miles then the lights came on again and now I can't get it to read the data! Talk about frustrating.

Would this indicate a wiring loom problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This might help other members

The RAC code reader does work on my 2005 Megane. After diagnosing a faulty cam sensor I changed it today, reset the fault code to get rid of the light and now the car seems fine.

But what may be of interest to other people who might have a similar fault, even though the diagnostics said the cam sensor had failed, the car never failed to start. From what I have read, usually when the sensor fails or begins to fail you experience engine starting problems.

SEcondly, as perviously posted elsewhere on the forum, this is a very easy DIY fix, unless you drop the bolt done onto the undertray as I did!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts