Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday my daughter was driving along and the fuel low warning light came on, I thiught she was just low on fuel and proceeded to put in £20 of petrol, I took it down the road and after a short time the gauge showed between half and three quarters full. I thought all was ok, but the following day the gauge was showing empty again, so thought I would have a closer look. Having made a tool to unscrew the ring holding the pump/ sender into the fuel tank I checked the resistance as i moved the arm up and down and seemed to be ok. After re inserting pump and sender unit I then decided to have a look at the gauge cluster and, having removed the gauge cluster there was nithing really that I could check, I so had to reassemble without solving the problem. Does anybody know if there is a separate fuel gauge control unit on these models or has anybody else experienced this problem and been able to fix it.
Thanks

Rowan

·
Registered
7 Posts
as above sum1 answer plz!!!

I have the same problem! have been using trip miles to guess when to fill up car!! sum1 answer plz!!!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
To check if the tank sensder unit working correctly you need to check the voltage at the guage and not the sender - some models also have a voltage regulator which can go faulty (intermittently). In my experience the most common cause of duff fuel readouts is down to a poor earth somewhere.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
faulty fule gauge an megane

I have sorted my fault, first of all I purchased a second hand gauge cluster but that made no difference, the fault was still there so I proceeded to check the wiring and traced it under the rear seat to the passengers side where it runs under the trim to the front passanger footwell where there is a big multiplug, when I disconnected and reconnected this plug, the fault was cured, obviously a bad connection in the multiplug, anyway it has been fine since I did this.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Rowang - glad to hear you got your problem sorted many thanks for your update - all goes to help run a successful forum:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have the same problem with our megane 1.6rt, one min it shows empty, i put £10 in and it showed as half full then 22 miles later it showed empty again which is impossible. Have checked the fuel lines and they havent been tempered with, i will follow your advice and check the wiring this week and see if that cures it. Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts