Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
It sounds like your GPS ariel is knackered, mine did the same recently. If you do a search on here you'll find links to buying a replacement, they start at a tenner on ebay. good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:)
It sounds like your GPS ariel is knackered, mine did the same recently. If you do a search on here you'll find links to buying a replacement, they start at a tenner on ebay. good luck
hi
garytheanimal,thanks for the advice, will start looking!
kirbster

·
Registered
38 Posts
hi,can anyone tell me why the gps symbol is red and my car can't find itself!?
Hi Kirbster

Don't be so hasty to find an aerial - I had the same problem and fixed it for £2.49.

Buy two clips to remove your sat nav unit, unplug all the wires at the rear (1 of them is a funny locking device that takes a bit of working out, but is easy when you realise how) and leave it disconnected for a minute or so. This is similar to disconnecting a printer from a computer so that it forgets all the print jobs in the print queue.

Then put it back together and after about 15 minutes of driving, if you're lucky it will sort itself out.

The rationale behind this is twofold - firstly trying to force a reboot, and secondly based on info in the handbook that it can take up to 15 miinutes to relocate enough satellites. If you want the diagnostics code, it is 4112.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Reboot attempt.

Hello.

I want to try your disconnect theroy out.
I have a 2004 Espace. The Sat NAV unit (where the CD goes) is located in the glove compartment. It all looks pretty much sealed in, I can't see how you get the thing out. Do you have any ideas? you mention pins?

regards
Nik

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello.

I want to try your disconnect theroy out.
I have a 2004 Espace. The Sat NAV unit (where the CD goes) is located in the glove compartment. It all looks pretty much sealed in, I can't see how you get the thing out. Do you have any ideas? you mention pins?

regards
Nik
Hi Nik

As far as I know, all in car entertainment is fixed in the dashboard using clips that can only be unhooked using propriatory pins. My sat nav cd unit is like yours, I think, as it is also housed in the glove box. If it is the same one it utilises the bog-standard pins that you can easily get from Halfords etc. The pins are basically a bent wire that fits in the 2 holes top and bottom of the unit. There are 2 pairs of holes, so you need 2 pairs of pins. If you cannot find any, try cutting up an old coat hanger, bend it into a U shape (make 2 of them)and push it into the holes. This will unclip the unit, although you might have to phaff around trying to persuade it to come out. Newer headsets, such as my Cabasse 6cd player uses different pins that I have not yet found. Fortunately, I have no need to remove the cd player (yet) so I am not worried.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
GPS Carminat reference manual . .PDF

Hi . . .Espace owner . . .
If you go the the follwing link you will find a useful manual regarding the servicing of the Carminat unit. (It includes . . amongst others . . the Espace IV . . ) . . .'http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Espace/vault/JE/3729A.pdf'

Hope it helps . . .
TC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Faulty Sat Nav

Hi
I am a newbie. Just got hold of 02 Laguna 3.0 Initiale. After just 2 days the SAT NAV packed up with the dreaded cd & gps symbol turning red and with the hour glass searching. After trawling thru the internet, I found this forum and joined in. What a wonderful place and so many contributers. I nearly bought a shark fin antenna and a computerr until I read twoscarecrows recommendations. A lifesaver. I followed his recommendations and wella everthing works fine now. It is a typical computer reset, just like windows, a hard reboot will do the trick. So advice to others do a hard reboot first before changing anything. Thanks, mate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You're very welcome Initiale 24. Co-incidentally, my sat-nav went on the blink again today. When I got in the car, the screen would not show anything other than the Renault logo, no matter what button I pressed. In the end I had to disconnect both the sat-nav computer (the one that takes the disk) and the control panel and leave them disconnected for a while before I could get it to behave. Anyway, it's up and running just in time for my journey down the dreaded M5; good job I'm taking my kayak!

:driving:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Twoscarecrows, funny that you mentioned the M5. I took delivery of my lag in swansea and went home thru M5 last Friday and guess what I was caught in the flood at J11 and took me 11 hours to reach home! when it should only take 2 hours. If only the TMC works.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Glad you found some helpful advice, do you think the next gen sat navs will include live flood updates.
TMC is perfectly capable of doing that now. It's the quality and speed of acquisition of the traffic data that's the real problem.

I still use my TrafficMaster YQ2 daily, in spite of having TMC on the sat-nav. It works from the same source as most of TMC's 'live' information, but gives you an information feed that's much closer to real-time than the TMC info. In particular, TMC seems very slow to remove a problem once it's gone away in real life: I've lost count of the number of times TMC has tried to route me round an area when TrafficMaster has told me it was clear. Where the two disagree, it's almost invariably TrafficMaster that gets it right.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If only the TMC works.

Initiale 24v. I note that you have a 2002 Lag. If your sat nav displays TMC then TMC is activated but not available; if it displaysTMC then TMC is available and working. If it displays TMC then you are using a cd from 2002 when TMC was still experimental and unavailable. If you need an updated cd you can get them from Renault for something like £130, or you can search for "carminat cd" on ebay and find a much cheaper one like I did. The advantage of an updated one is not only does TMC work, but the new roads are mapped of course.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Mine's is a little different

Initiale 24v. I note that you have a 2002 Lag. If your sat nav displays TMC then TMC is activated but not available; if it displaysTMC then TMC is available and working. If it displays TMC then you are using a cd from 2002 when TMC was still experimental and unavailable. If you need an updated cd you can get them from Renault for something like £130, or you can search for "carminat cd" on ebay and find a much cheaper one like I did. The advantage of an updated one is not only does TMC work, but the new roads are mapped of course.
Not in my Laguna. My original disk (2004) was not TMC enabled and showed TMC in red. I used a Teleatlas disk for a BMW (2006) which did not support TMC, still red (not black). I now have a proper VDO Dayton 2006 disk (off ebay) that supports TMC and it now green and works perfectly.

Len

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dreaded red cd and gps symbols

Hi All
Have done several reboots but unfortunately the cd symbol keeps changing from green to red and the gps stays red all the time. Have reinitialise several times the result were GPS 'Connectee'. Is that Spanish! means connected. Looks like there are a mix of language in my system. Funny. So does anyone have a similar problem. Do you think it is the CD drive? Any help appreciated. Thanks.:confused: :

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Sat Nav is not a subject I know much about,but I would like say what a great thread this is.:)

Some good info and helpful advice.Excellent.:)

1 - 20 of 79 Posts