Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moral of the day, if while you're hoovering your Lag out (might be other Renaults too, not sure) you accidentally push it into gear, dont for god sake call out the most sarcastic RAC man in the world to tell you they wont start in gear, i was trying it for 20 minutes before i finally gave in and rang them.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Moral of the day, if while you're hoovering your Lag out (might be other Renaults too, not sure) you accidentally push it into gear, dont for god sake call out the most sarcastic RAC man in the world to tell you they wont start in gear, i was trying it for 20 minutes before i finally gave in and rang them.

:d :d :d

I admire your honesty for admitting to that.

Regards

Ottoman
:)

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I must admit that a couple of months ago I did the same thing! Luckily I didn't call out the AA but I did, however, spend 45mins trying to get it going.

This time invloved checking fuses and relays and generally being rather rood and nasty to Renault (nothing new there then!)!!:d

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Although I didn't get to call the AA.

I must admit that I've done this too, I sat on a car park for 10 minutes pulling and pushing everything in sight. :eek:

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
:d well there you go, i did not know that either its a bit stupid if you ask me only renault would do that:d

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Just to add another "Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt." Hopefully you've had enough of these by now to realise that you're not an idiot.

I was just about to call the RAC when I decided to give it another go, and then realised that the guy who'd borrowed it at lunchtime had left it in gear.

The good news is that you will only make the mistake once :p

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
:d well there you go, i did not know that either its a bit stupid if you ask me only renault would do that:d
It's do to with the keycard or handsfree system. It is a "safety" feature.

It prevents you from starting the car without either having car in neutral or pressing clutch. With car in neutral you also have to push brake pedal before car will start.
Ideal if you have kids/dogs in the car ( whilst you nip to pay for fuel or whatever)who could easily push the start button by mistake!

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
When I had a rental Megane ages ago, you had to press the clutch regardless of whether the car was in gear. The same is true (well clutch or brake) of my 05 Laguna, though it might be a feature of the hands-free.

I'd hazard a guess that they've either had far too many irate phone calls over this 'feature' or it wasn't deemed safe enough, and they decided to make pressing the clutch or brake mandatory in order to prove that someone was actually in the driver's seat when starting the engine.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
In the Scenic II if you Press brake to start and car is in gear the dash display shows engage neutral .

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not feeling too bad about the whole thing now, thanks guys.

I feel i can tell you that i tried to strangle a 'hoody' that was stood near the car as i drove away for the first time, i heard the RAID kick in and thought he'd threw something, me being 6'3" and 17 stone rugby player he nearly keffed in his pants and i felt really bad, BUT in my defence its only my second car and before this it was a Rover 400, say no more.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I'm not feeling too bad about the whole thing now, thanks guys.

I feel i can tell you that i tried to strangle a 'hoody' that was stood near the car as i drove away for the first time, i heard the RAID kick in and thought he'd threw something, me being 6'3" and 17 stone rugby player he nearly keffed in his pants and i felt really bad, BUT in my defence its only my second car and before this it was a Rover 400, say no more.

:d

Hope you apologised to him then ... :p

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Seeing as I always start cars with the clutch depressed, the worst I've done is start the car, and then promptly stall it bringing my foot up off the clutch...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts