Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out this morning and the key card slot was rattling around - its been snug and 'proper' since I bought it (had the car for 3 weeks). The illuminated plasic bit has come off and dropped down behind.

Anyway, noticed that there is also a big crack in the fascia around the stereo - it definitely wasnt there before.

The car was locked but there is no sign of anyone breaking into it.

I cant believe it - does this sound like someone has tried to steal it? There was nothing in the car for anyone to steal so nothing has been taken but I'm quite shaken.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ive spoken to the scene of crime officer who said they'd never be able to drive it away without the key.

He asked if Id locked it and then told me that there's been a sharp rise in locked fob/card type cars getting broken in to and there are rumours (but no evidence) about how they're doing it.

He reckons they may have had a keycard from another Megane which theyve tried to ram into the card slot.

My back garden gate was swinging/blowing open this morning too - he said they've probably been trying to break into the house for keys.

Just thought I'd update the post...still seething.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Unfortunately there is thieving scum everywhere these days... hope you get your car sorted soon good luck.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I'd love to say what I'd do to anyone stealing (or attempting to).

But, that would be self-incrimination, if it ever occured.

Best of luck,

Paul

·
La sola lupo
2,521 Posts
I'd love to say what I'd do to anyone stealing (or attempting to).

But, that would be self-incrimination, if it ever occured.

Best of luck,

Paul
Ive heard of frequency receivers being used, to imitate your fob but someone will have to be in close proximity to be able to capture your fob frequency

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
Ive heard of frequency receivers being used, to imitate your fob but someone will have to be in close proximity to be able to capture your fob frequency
That's what I was thinking, but what I cant figure out is why they would leave the car locked afterwards ?

Stranger things have happened though.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
That's whats a bit odd. If you are so well-equipped, why not be able to take the car, and if you have broken something - why lock it?

Paul

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The frequency thing is what the scene of crime officer mentioned.

The central locking is acting funny now - its taking 3 or 4 attempts to get it to stay locked.

I'm really puzzled - I can't get my head around 'why?' - there is nothing in it to steal, its a 1.6 bog standard Megane of 7 years old.

I've notified my insurance company but I'm hoping it won't be too much to fix. It's off to Renault next friday for a different problem so they are going to give me a quote on repairs at the same time.

Really bizarre.

·
La sola lupo
2,521 Posts
Its possible they locked it in hopes you wont notice and then come back another time

·
Administrator
13,230 Posts
Does your car have a self locking feature for if you accidently forget to lock it? That would explain why it was locked when you got to it! And if someone was breaking into it, maybe they got disturbed and if they got out and locked the car no one who take any notice of them! :idunno:

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,254 Posts
if its taking multiple attempts to lock the car, it may be due to the toe-rags being nearby with a jammer. they are trying to get you to absentmindedly walk away from the car and press the remote lock without checking the car got the signal and locked!

oh and the permenant fix involves a hole, a spade and a empty field late at night:devil:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts