Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just watched the latest Fifth Gear programme, and realised how much more I enjoyed it than Top Gear, which just seems to have got sillier and sillier.

I like that Fifth Gear seems to be more about the cars than about 'laddish' behaviour - do you agree, or am I just getting old and sensible?!! :unsure:

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Both, probably :)
JC & Co are funny up to a point but when presenters start to imagine that it's about them, they are seriously misjudging their audience. Like comparing Parkinson to Morgan.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,617 Posts
Top Gear.... never got into 5th gear, always seemed mundane.
But, while Top Gear relies on laddish behaviour, it has to work.
For me it did with Jezza, Hampster and Captain Slow.
Failed totally with Evans.
Almost with Matt Le Blanc
And surprisingly well with Paddy and Freddy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can find the pilot episode for streaming somewhere. I like to take television shows in the right chronological order, even if it's just a documentary.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,400 Posts
old top was just that out of date and just the same old thing all the time , then it started to change with the new presenters but then the last series was just the old top gear with new faces , so it started to move with the times then went back to being predictable and c**p .
fifth gear has more info and a bit of all round fun at the same time, not just on new but used cars

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,247 Posts
Can't stand Clarkson. He is personally objectionable and far too arrogant. Fifth gear was better but I don't watch either now.
Same here. I find there is nothing to relate to in any of the shows these days.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
old top was just that out of date and just the same old thing all the time , then it started to change with the new presenters but then the last series was just the old top gear with new faces , so it started to move with the times then went back to being predictable and c**p .
fifth gear has more info and a bit of all round fun at the same time, not just on new but used cars
That's interesting - I also thought the Matt Le Blanc led Top Gear efforts were getting better, but the new guys are woeful. I stopped watching the last series.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Not sure abut Jimmy de ville. Don't really like that other program....goblin works dud to presenters and don't he's much better on this. Bland.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, not sure he fits the show - he doesn't seem interested in modern cars, although he was quite good on the Land Rover v Suzuki Jimny piece. I don't watch that Goblinworks show either!

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
22,662 Posts
Ok so now back to 5th gear and the question is..

HOW TO MAKE VICKY BUTLER HENDERSON SCREAM WITHOUT REALLY TRYING..
I know Our kid would love to try but that wont happen..😁

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
22,662 Posts
Saw that part of fifth gear by accident. She likes a good test drive.
And I suspect she has had many of them..many years ago when she interviewed the drivers on the grid [BTCC] Jason plato made a comment to her that I didn't hear but the answer he got was "In your dreams mate" and she swiftly walked away with red cheeks..😁

1 - 20 of 25 Posts