Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to register to ask for a bit of help. Replaced a knocking driveshaft today on a 53 plate Clio phase 2. Caught all the gearbox oil but I was going to change it anyway. Come to fill it up and the previous owner (or the previous before him but I doubt it as it was a woman) has managed to snap the head off the nut that goes in the hole and then just for good measures, somehow WELD what was left of the nut! :screwloose: (Didn't even know it was possible to weld cast iron!!) I can't get a drill in to drill it out and even if I did manage to start drilling it I don't wanna make it worse!

So, I have decided to fill it using the breather on top of the box but obviously I don't know when its full as there's no filler hole for it to come out of :think: - I did think about pouring the old oil back in as give or take a spoon or two that went on the floor it should be the correct amount (a 4 pint milk bottle filled to the brim) but the container I used to catch it wasn't clean. I imagine there's still a bit of oil left in the box since it would have drained to the bottom of the shaft opening.

If I gave another empty milk bottle a thorough cleaning and poured the same amount of new oil into it as whats in the bottle containing the old oil, would this be roughly the same amount or would it be different due to the older oil being thicker or something?

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,019 Posts
Filler plug will be steel or wrought iron, you can weld both but why is a different question.
As is how to get it out?
Maybe a pic would help us there?

I would think if you gathered a known amount of oil and stuck the same back in you would be somewhere near.
But no idea how near as the box may have been dripping and low anyway.

Shouldn't smile but it does sound like a previous owner/mechanic/muppet did a proper bodge.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,755 Posts
The filler / level plug is usually plastic on the Clio
are you looking at the right thing down the front
of the box about half way up?

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
the fillers definitely plastic and it has a very course thread so it would be very unlikely to have been replaced by a metal one. The casing is not cast iron it's aluminium which is even harder to weld, so I think you've misinterpreted the problem somehow. However having said all that your measuring system should work fine. If 4 pints came out of the driveshaft hole the box definitely had planty of oil in it. You could drain the rest out to check (drain plug on bottom, 8 mm sq plug)if you want to be really fussy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts