Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:crazy: Drivers could have lost their jobs and increased insurance premiums etc due to this :mad:

A big loss of credibility in the speed cameras and the officers manning them mmm

Three members of Lancashire police staff are facing disciplinary action after thousands of motorists were wrongly accused of speeding.

An investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) found 2,115 tickets had to be cancelled and 545 convictions overturned.

The IPCC said a speed camera was wrongly set up and paperwork incorrectly processed.

A speed camera operative and two processing unit staff face action.

Two other members of the force's Central Processing Unit (CPU) have been cleared of any wrongdoing.

The speed camera error resulted in 545 unsafe convictions, the refund of £35,000 in fines and the rescinding of 1,500 penalty points.

No criminal charges

The processing investigation meant 2,115 tickets were cancelled and inquiries are under way to find out whether any convictions might have resulted from incorrect paperwork.

The IPCC said that the Crown Prosecution Service had looked at the file, but found insufficient evidence for a criminal prosecution against the speed camera operator.

Naseem Malik, IPCC Commissioner for the North West, said: "The investigations have identified matters that must now be presented before a disciplinary panel and, therefore, it would not be appropriate to go into full details at this stage.

"However it is correct to say that concerns over the work of these individuals has resulted in a number of convictions having to be overturned.

"Once the disciplinary panels have been held, the IPCC will issue further details about the findings of the investigations."

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Although this, touch wood, doesn't currently affect me I can't help but wondering now how many times this happened, and went on, completely unnoticed.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Does the "I" in IPCC really mean Independent - somehow I doubt it especially when no charges are to be brought:steam:
True. Though I've always felt that fining the public sector is stupid. We end up paying for it through increased taxes!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Who sugested fines - anyone caught messing with public systems or funds should automatically be jailed or at least loose their jobs:steam:

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I don't know why I read 'charges' as 'fines' - shoot me now. :d

1 - 6 of 6 Posts