Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently been having some problems with slow page download and things locking up when I use IE7 to view the forum.All these problems dissapear if I use Firefox.....two questions....

1/Why?:)

2/Are there any inheirant problems with using Firefox that I haven't encountered yet?(apart from the slightly strange text that the forum seems to be in when I use it?:))

Thank-you.

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
I've been using FF for about the last four years Lag and i would highly recommend you stop lining good old Bill's pockets and be converted for good!

Firefox allows you to customise it to make it as user friendly as possible. You can block pop ups - in fact i haven't seen one since i was 'forced' to use IE at work about 2 years ago. I eventually got them to install FF on my work pc.

I'd recommend you take a look at the link below to customise FF and remember its created by users for users. You can even develop your own themes or extensions if you're that way inclined ;)

https://addons.mozilla.org/?application=firefox

·
Registered
29 Posts
1/ Because IE7 is a hunk of junk (security wise) :(
2/ I'm really happy with Firefox although I haven't been using it too long. I preferred IE6 to IE7 except for tabbed browsing. Have a read here about the other alternatives to IE7 including Opera and K-Meleon The 46 Best-ever Freeware Utilities as well as lots of other great freebies.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice one,thanks to you both.:)

I think I'll stick with Firefox for the time being.:).The forum was almost unuseable with IE........

A

·
0 Posts
I've just upgraded to firefox 150.10 two days ago
and have like S.B. Found no problems using firefox.

I do like firefox it seems to be a little quicker than I.E. 7

Looking at the forum a few minutes ago using I.E. 7
I can find no problems .

It just may well be worth looking a little harder at your computer “lagdti” in case of a virus or drivers out of place.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I'm a big fan of Firefox, but I find it a bit flaky. I've tried moving to IE7 and even Opera, but I always come back to Firefox in spite of its problems. Firefox's plug-ins are what make it: I've got quite a few loaded, which could well be part of my problem. When I try to switch to other browsers, I miss things like Del.icio.us integration and the Foxcast weather information at the bottom of the screen.

The main problem I've had with Firefox is that it sometimes decides to hog 99% of the CPU when it's doing nothing. It's damned annoying when you've left something (e.g. folding) running all night and it's done nothing. On occasions, it leaves so little processor time for anything else that Windows becomes completely non-responsive and you have to shut down the nasty way (hold down the power button until the PC turns off.)

Another problem that I've had only this morning is the thing 'faking' a dead Internet connection. I'm used to these, as my broadband and wireless are less than reliable. But this time around, everything but Firefox could see the Internet. I closed the current window and opened a new one, and everything was fine :crazy:

There's been a lot of talk of how Firefox is more secure than IE, but the evidence doesn't really back that up. It just has different exploits, and now that it has a significant share of the market, we should be just as worried that hackers might try to abuse them.

I'd switch to Opera if it offered a few more features, but as it stands, I think I'll be sticking with Firefox.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I'm a big fan of Firefox, but I find it a bit flaky. I've tried moving to IE7 and even Opera, but I always come back to Firefox in spite of its problems. Firefox's plug-ins are what make it: I've got quite a few loaded, which could well be part of my problem. When I try to switch to other browsers, I miss things like Del.icio.us integration and the Foxcast weather information at the bottom of the screen.

The main problem I've had with Firefox is that it sometimes decides to hog 99% of the CPU when it's doing nothing. It's damned annoying when you've left something (e.g. folding) running all night and it's done nothing. On occasions, it leaves so little processor time for anything else that Windows becomes completely non-responsive and you have to shut down the nasty way (hold down the power button until the PC turns off.)

Another problem that I've had only this morning is the thing 'faking' a dead Internet connection. I'm used to these, as my broadband and wireless are less than reliable. But this time around, everything but Firefox could see the Internet. I closed the current window and opened a new one, and everything was fine :crazy:

There's been a lot of talk of how Firefox is more secure than IE, but the evidence doesn't really back that up. It just has different exploits, and now that it has a significant share of the market, we should be just as worried that hackers might try to abuse them.

I'd switch to Opera if it offered a few more features, but as it stands, I think I'll be sticking with Firefox.
I use IE7 and have had no problems, Pop ups I have never had a problem with those.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
This should do the trick

I had exactly the same problem and thought I'd look at the release notes for IE7 and, low and behold, I found that certain toolbars need to be upgraded when you have installed IE7. My problem was the Google toolbar so I upgraded the said tool bar and have had absolutely no problems since. Check out this link about half way down the page under the subheading "Internet Explorer 7 and Outlook Web Access (OWA)";

Release Notes for Internet Explorer 7

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi All

I've experienced a few problems accessing the forum in IE7, but this was when I was on a 2mb broadband package. I have recently changed to another provider, and now I've got upto 8mb, I've n ot experienced any problems when browsing the forum.

In regards to pop-ups, I've not had any problems as I've got the google toolbar and a couple of freeware pop-up killers running in the background.

I've posted details of these previously in the IT forum, but feel free to send me a pm or post a message for links / info.

Regards

Ade

1 - 10 of 10 Posts