Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys this is my first thread so firstly hi. Right now business we have a 51 plate Espace 2.2 DCI the Race - lively motor however developed a problem recently - the car grinds in first and second gear pretty loudly, it goes into 1st and 2nd but theres no power - am I to assume the gearbox is on its last legs. The car has done 60k with one previous owner and fsh - any suggestions

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
welcome to the forum, have you checked the gearbox oil level
Ive just been reading various threads on forums and this could be a possibility. The cars had a full major service recently and I hoped it had been checked under that. I took care to a local garage over weekend and he told me gearbox is gone but the car drives fine in 3rd, 4th and 5th. Probably get a second opinion

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums.

Yes I would get another opinion before before venturing down an exchange gearbox route.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Havnt managed to get a professional second opinion as yet but couiple of my mates took car out last night and we all feel its not the gearbox. The car just grinds in first and second, it goes into gears fine. They reckon it could be a bearing or a pressure plate problem... and by the way how much does it cost to get gearbox oil filled up... thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Pav-g

Just had mine done today for £25 at a Renault Garage but a leaking Gear Selector Oil Seal will probably need replacing soon - Anyone know how much this is (Part is £10 but Renault as yet have no idea of labour cost/code)?.

Kevin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Kevin thanks for the price but unfortunately had car checked out at a couple of garages including a gearbox transmissions place and all said the gearbox is gone, so ive been trying to source an espace gearbox all day, one option is to get mine taken out, reconditioned and replaced for 500 quid or a second hand replacement is gonna cost around 550 plus vat then fitting on top, I seriously dont know what to do...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys, got my espace back yesterday. Had the gearbox reconditioned, had new clutch assemby put in and dif. Total spend £1070.00. The car drives ace, apart from a slight adjustment that needs to be made on the clutch as you have to put the foot right down on the clutch to get it in gear. Apart from that and a lighter wallet - pleased. Thanks for your input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts