Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have bought a Witter detachable towbar and a Renault electric kit. So some fun for me at the weekend fitting this - assuming the torque wrench arrives!!!

A question though about the electrics - the instructions say to disconnect the battery (logical). On a Grand Espace should I have any codes for the radio that I need to re-enter? Any other issues I should be aware of when disconnecting the battery?

The supplier does have a helpline but I guess that will be specific to the fitting and they may not know much about the car itself.

Thanks
Adam

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi Stylo ... use a code saver if you can ... it will keep the codes intact ... about £5 from an accessory shop ... ( its a 9v battery and a cigar lighter plug)

Before reconnecting the battery, switch the sidelights on ... that way you wont get any spikes taking the ECU out ... sounds daft but its apparently quite common.

hope it helps :)

Keep us up-to-date on how you get on ...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK have purchased all the bits:
Witter towbar with detachable tow ball - ebay supplier
Renault specific electric kit - actually made by Westfalia via the same ebay supplier
Thule 3 bike carrier - Halfords have them for £99
2 x axle stands - only 9.99
Torque Wrench - another ebay supplier
Couldn't get a code saver yet but will try another shop

Today managed to fit the main parts of the towbar. This was really interesting as it was difficult to see where the attachment points were! But, in the end all attached and torqued up. Really nice and discrete so far - without the towball or electric connector mounted. Took about 90 mins all together.

When I get a chance I'll stick the detachable towball thing on and test out the bike rack. Might not be able to do this for a few weeks but fully expect the electric bit to be the major challenge so will likely be back here asking how to remove bits of the interior!

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
If you're not fitting twin electrics, then I can't see any practical reason on earth for disconnecting the battery. Yes, it's supposedly 'good practice' before working on any of the car's electrical systems, but as long as the ignition and lights are off, I can't see it being a problem.

If you are fitting the second socket, then you'll probably need to run a live power feed straight from the battery. This will involve at least loosening the positive power connection, at which point you may well lose your radio code.

You never know when you might need the radio code in future anyway. I'd bite the bullet and go and get it from your dealer.

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
OK have purchased all the bits:
Witter towbar with detachable tow ball - ebay supplier
Renault specific electric kit - actually made by Westfalia via the same ebay supplier
Thule 3 bike carrier - Halfords have them for £99
2 x axle stands - only 9.99
Torque Wrench - another ebay supplier
Couldn't get a code saver yet but will try another shop

Today managed to fit the main parts of the towbar. This was really interesting as it was difficult to see where the attachment points were! But, in the end all attached and torqued up. Really nice and discrete so far - without the towball or electric connector mounted. Took about 90 mins all together.

When I get a chance I'll stick the detachable towball thing on and test out the bike rack. Might not be able to do this for a few weeks but fully expect the electric bit to be the major challenge so will likely be back here asking how to remove bits of the interior!
Hi stylo, did you remember to cut and remove the panels at the wheel arches ... they should be removed and should have made the alignment of the bar a bit easier.

Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HI - didn't need to cut anything to get it fitted. Alignment was with the aid of the spare wheel supporting the towbar!

I replied to another thread I had re towbars by mistake with the latest update/request for help!

I need to run a cable to the fuse box and have trouble with the interior. How do I remove the plastic trim parallel to the bottom of the door?

Adam

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK with some more attempts managed to pull off the plastic trim - not too bad really.

BUT now the next one does seem to be beyond me! I'm running the positive cable up to the front of the car, it has a fuse assembly that I have connected but now have a wire that needs to be connected to the battery or a 'suitable alternative cable. The cable I have is currently brought up at the passenger footwell. How do I get this connected to the battery?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Stylo, Sorry I think I’m replying to what looks like an old thread but wanted to ask a question on how you got on with the electrics. To cut a long story short I am due to take delivery of a new Espace (not grand) in two weeks and have pre-ordered a detachable tow bar (Westfalia) and car specific electric kit (Not genuine Renault part but believe the same(?) from towequipe). I was under the impression this kit just plugs into the socket already in the car - is it a little more complex than this? I am generally happy to mess a little and have fitted several tow bars without specific electrics before but I imagine the wife will be none too impressed if I damage her new car! The pressures on as I need the towbar for a family holiday 4 days after I take delivery. As far as the tow bar fit, I have taken a look at the instructions online and they suggest both rear wheels need to come off - was this your experience? Thanks for your help, hope you don't mind resurrecting and old thread for a newbe!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi - yes both rear wheels off at the same time - I bought a pair of axle stands 9.99.

Electrics: today I connected up a long piece of wire to the battery and confirmed all works OK so with the kit I have you MUST connect to the battery. I think you have the same kit. If I was doing it again I would run the wire under the car to the front and connect to the battery there. As soon as I get time I'll go to the local car electric place to see if they can connect up my cable - got as far as the passenger footwell but can't see an easy way to get to the battery. The rear of car electrics was OK though - I didn't cut into the loom to disable the fog lights as not an issue with my bike rack.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Many thanks for the advice. I have contacted my dealer and they have offered a discounted price of £350 to supply and fit a detachable tow bar and electrics. That is only about £80 more than I could get the parts for from Towequipe without the stands ect. Probably worth it as it appears a more complex than average job. Not often you get a competitive quote from a main dealer! Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts