Independent Renault Forums banner

Would you want to upgrade your Zoe's non CarPlay R-Link for a 3rd party device?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Hell No!

• What's R-Link?

• I'm a good whistler & I've got the A to Z for London!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Renault Zoe
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where the canbus connector (not ODB-II port) is located on the 2014 Zoe?

Background:
I am looking to replace R-Link on this older car - does not really do much for me - it is the Radio, and a bluetooth streamer for podcasts and music. Stopped using the navigation years ago as there was an annoying beep every time I passed a speed camera, and the other "electric car" aspects of R-Link are not interesting.

CarPlay gives Waze navigation, radio, podcasts, but also access to electric car apps that will really help - like finding a charge point, paying for charging, finding parking, paying for parking (all accessible via the CarPlay interface - so its simple). It would bring the car's tech up-to-date.

There are options for aftermarket Android based full console replacements which are compatible with the Renault Zoe 2012-2018. By compatible, I mean a full console replacement in keeping with the Zoe - not some kind of frankenstein weekend project...

I picked up this:

Its listed as: "Carplay PX6 DSP Android 10.0 Car Radio Multimedia Video Player For Renault Clio 4 ZOE 2013-2019 GPS Navigation Auto Audio Stereo"

A picture is included below.

Problem:
I have been messaging back and forth with the supplier and apparently the unit will want to connect to the canbus on the Zoe for installation. So it comes with a "3-way" canbus cable, which should be placed in line with the canbus. Photo example of cable below. I have tried forums, owners manuals, service manuals (that I could find - not complete and not purchased) to find this kind of connector. (I believe the ODB-II port is not sufficient).

The comment form the factory is the canbus connector required "is not in the central control position and should be under the co-pilot's armrest box"

Questions:
1) Does anyone know where a canbus connector like this may be found on the Zoe?
2) Anyone done change/upgrade before?!?

Many thanks,
TG

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did you find a way forwards?

I have installed after market Android units in three cars. All of those units came with a separate can-bus decoder box which was placed between the Android head unit and car wiring.

All of those has a connector which was connected to the original radio connector of the car and then some wires went to can-bus decoder and other directly to Android head unit.

The actual can-bus system in cars probably does not have the kind of connectors you are looking for. The wiring has only two wires through which signals go to all components connected to can-bus.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts