Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys im wondering if its possible to do this to my 03 reg dynamique, the only reason i ask is newer cars use CANbus and some manufacturers stop the fitting of these kits by sending signals down the wire to prevent the ballast functioning, has anyone done this?

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aye cheers mate i know loads about hid's etc as i retrofitted a set of projectors to my vectra v6 a few months ago, was just unsure with all this new technology wiring

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Hi guys im wondering if its possible to do this to my 03 reg dynamique, the only reason i ask is newer cars use CANbus and some manufacturers stop the fitting of these kits by sending signals down the wire to prevent the ballast functioning, has anyone done this?
You could always fit the Renault Xenons as fitted to Privilege & Initiale and also they are fitted to Dynamique SportTourers. The wiring loom is probably already in place, so as long as you can fit the auto levellers & the washers ( would need to cut the bumper for that) you would have a road LEGAL system in place. You can probably get the bits from a breakers etc.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I think we established that the legal requirement for levellers and washers only applies to HID lamps that are fitted on the production line. I assume it's part of the 'Type Approval' regulations.

After-fit systems can legally be installed and used without either, although the reasons for having the requirement in the first place is no less valid. That said, the auto-levelling requirement is probably there due to the number of muppets who don't know how to use (or can't be bothered using) their headlight levellers. If you use the dial properly, then the HID upgrade shouldn't blind other road users after all.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I'm sure I read a post by Webcode somewhere when he said to retrofit the Renault HID lamps was not possible and that the cost was prohibitive, He recommended an aftermarket supplier.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be honest im thinking of a set of HID's then retrofit washer jets.

I agree with the self levelling too, any headlamps properly aimed will not blind anyone anymore than normal ones.

Also (optical wise) the factory hid lamps and standard ones don't appear to differ (i.e no projector units) so i presume they take D2R bulbs with the shield?
Ive noticed my halogens have the shield in place already to help the cutoff and reduce glare, so i think HID kit plus washers is the way to go.

O

·
0 Posts
Just as a matter of interest on the legal side, I had my car MOT'd not longer after the aftermarket HIDs were installed, it failed - not on the HIDs but the LED side lights which I bought with it to stop it having the yellow tinge.

The garage swapped them for standard bulbs and no problem - mine doesn't have washers or self levelling.

As it happens I wasn't keen on the LED lights - somehow they look great on the Grandis but looked way too blue on mine. May be something to do with the angle they set in the housing.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I agree with the self levelling too, any headlamps properly aimed will not blind anyone anymore than normal ones.
HID lamps output three times the visible light of standard wattage halogens. If incorrectly aimed, their dazzling effect to oncoming traffic will be considerably increased. There are already plenty of people who complain that the extra output of HID lamps dazzle them, even when correctly aligned. Though I wonder how many of them are just the sort of curmudgeon who has a downer on any kind of new technology - 20-odd years ago, they were probably moaning about the introduction of halogens :p
Also (optical wise) the factory hid lamps and standard ones don't appear to differ (i.e no projector units) so i presume they take D2R bulbs with the shield?
I'd spotted obvious differences in the reflector design between the halogen and Xenon Lagunas, on the phase 1 at least. The standard lamps have an oval-ish reflector surround for the main bulb, but the Xenons don't. I haven't seen the phase 2 halogens, but the phase 2 Xenons have 'projector' style lamps, with a huge fish-eye lens over the Xenon bulb. I assume that's because they're now bi-Xenons (I don't think the phase 1's were) and this allows the same bulb to be aimed differently for dip and full beam.
Ive noticed my halogens have the shield in place already to help the cutoff and reduce glare, so i think HID kit plus washers is the way to go.
And don't forget to use your leveller switch responsibly if you're carrying a load in the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just clocked up 90K in the Laguna, HID lights in my opinion are awful, levellers ceased working ages ago and the damn washers stay stuck up. Wish I'd stuck with the cheapo option when I bought the thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts