Independent Renault Forums banner

Flapping noise from engine when starting & driving

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  philinwales 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
hi there again

i have a renault grand espace 2.0 16v,x reg silver,since i bought the car its been a nightmare only had it 3 weeks,so firstly the petrol tank was leaking so we sorted that then the clutch slave cylinder decided to snap,the chap that had it before me had only changed it 2 months before (obviously not put it on properly)so we changed that,and now my car wont start,i had been out ad it was driving perfectly no bother at all,when i pulled in my street i noticed i could here like a something flapping about i thought something was stuck to the tyre and it was hitting the floor, if you know what i mean,anyway i got out checked underneath the car and there was nothing,i went to try and start the car and i heard the flaping noise again coming from the front end of the car,then nothing so now it tries to start but wont very weird,my hubby said it could possibly be the started motor or fly wheel,he dosnt know anythin about this make of car so its sort ov a guess,does anyone know as hes goin to check the started motor weekend,im serously thinking of getting shut to be fair ive had enough boo hoo
PLEASE HELP ME :eek:

#6 ·
Finding a timing belt will be the least of your worries.

It's 99% certain there will be bent valves necessitating cylinder head removal, etc, etc, Not a easy job on your model.

Unless you can do the job yourself or get someone to do the repair as a favour then the cost will probably be more than the car is worth.

You'll need to confirm if there are bent valves before going any further.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.