Independent Renault Forums banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
The car has 3 years and 80,000 miles worth of chips and dings in it, so I've given up on making it look good. Maybe when I get the new one...
:eek:

You know... us valeters really hate to hear this kind of thing!
There arent many 3 year old cars that are beyond help

I know this is going to sound like sales patter, but if you get your wheels cleaned up, have the paintwork buffed (to remove all the scratches that automated car washes give you), have the dents removed and touch in the stone chips - you may find that you can increase the resale value of your car by as much as £2000.
This of course depends on what condition your car is now and what sort of money they are making in a private sale. But typically any money you spend on 'tarting' up your car, you will get back two or threefold when you come to resell it.

Obviously, its better if you don't let your car get into a state in the first place. And if you DON'T take it to the car wash, you won't have to pay people like Clean Image to remove all the scratches!
I would always recommend cleaning your car yourself by hand.

I have to admit that I haven't tried the Flash Car Washing system... I don't have a hose pipe at home so there wouldn't be much point. But I'm totally sold on the idea of cleaning your car with purified water which is what the Flash system does.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Good advice mate.

I remember cleaning up my Mum's Micra for her as a birthday treat a few years ago. It was red and really faded, a bit of TLC and some new wheel trims made it look like new.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Test drive

Ive neva herd or seen of this new washer system but if any1 buys 1 feel 3 to come round and try it out on my car!?! :crazy:

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Clean_Image said:
:eek:

You know... us valeters really hate to hear this kind of thing!
There arent many 3 year old cars that are beyond help

I know this is going to sound like sales patter, but if you get your wheels cleaned up, have the paintwork buffed (to remove all the scratches that automated car washes give you), have the dents removed and touch in the stone chips - you may find that you can increase the resale value of your car by as much as £2000.
If it was my own car and I was thinking of selling privately then I'd do exactly that. Trading in against another car, it doesn't make quite so much sense. Dealers aren't that bothered about minor damage: They can sort it for themselves at minimal cost when their own workshop is quiet, so it doesn't usually hurt the trade-in price that badly. As it stands, mine's a contract hire car, so it's not worth sorting anything that I think will slip by the guy who comes to take it away. Based on past experience, apart from the cracked fog light, I don't think there's anything bad enough for him to actually flag it up on the paperwork.

Once the honeymoon period is over (about the first six months or so) my car is just a donkey. I wouldn't drive it with huge chunks of trim hanging off it or a dirty great scuff along the bumper, but I can live with the odd minor scratch and dent here and there. If I bother getting the back door repaired, sod's law says someone will rag a shopping trolley along it again the following week, and when you do 25,000+ (mostly motorway) miles a year, keeping on top of stone chips is a non-starter. As for the wheels, I could spend an hour on them, and they'd be filthy again within another hour of driving.

Yep, tarting the car up for private sale makes perfect sense. Fixing every little dent and scratch as and when it happens doesn't, unless you really can't stand to see your pride and joy sporting an injury. The exception is when the top coat of paint has been broken (even the laquer on metallics) as the other layers are porous, and you could be inviting rust.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Clio05 said:
Ive neva herd or seen of this new washer system but if any1 buys 1 feel 3 to come round and try it out on my car!?! :crazy:
you can pick one up in your local Woolies - not convinced it'll be any good!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Flash wash

I have got one of these and whilst I have only used it 6 or 7 times, can confirm that it does actually work. The filter which comes as standard doesn't last very long (only 3 or 4 washes) and then you will see the odd spot on the car after it has dried. If you follow the instructions, it really does have a great effect. The Flash detergent is good at loosening squashed flies as well.

It is satisfying to rinse the car off with the "de-ionised" water, walk away and see it dry to a shine without you having to touch it!

·
Registered
70 Posts
As it stands, mine's a contract hire car, so it's not worth sorting anything that I think will slip by the guy who comes to take it away. Based on past experience, apart from the cracked fog light, I don't think there's anything bad enough for him to actually flag it up on the paperwork.
I have bad news for you... the situation has changed in the last couple of years!
In fact, the whole motor industry has changed in the last few years... I have just finished a 19 page guide on the subject, so forgive me if I don't feel like explaining the whole situation on this forum (I'l post a link to the guide when it goes live - waiting for approval by the BVRLA).
But the long and the short of it was that lease and contract hire companies were getting problems... apparently one guy returned his car, or what was left of it in a holdall, Another story is that some guy mixed up cement in the back of his vehicle!
Anyway, the leasing companies got tough, fleet managers got a nasty shock, and so passed all the recharges onto the drivers. Smart fleet managers managed their cars better, they had less penalties, the lease companies made more money from the cars at the end of contract, and passed some of this back to fleet managers in the form of better deals.
And so both the leasing companies and the fleet managers like the new get tough policy.
And I swear that some lease companies have realized they can make a small fortune in re-charges.

Anyway, some contract hire and Leasing companies are still soft on the Fair Wear & Tear Standard, but many more have got really tough over the last 2-3 years.

We are finding that they are flagging things like excessive stone chips and small panel dents, they will even do you for things like stained seats and minor scuffs on wheels.

If you got your car yourself through a dealership, then they are more likely to go easier on you, but if your car is part of a fleet - you should consider having an independant inspection done.

Last year leasing companies charged British companies £120,000,000 in penalty recharges*, with some lease companies charging an average of £600 per car for wear and tear *Source: Fleet News Net FN50 - 2004 - www.fleetnewsnet.co.uk

·
Registered
1 Posts
ive used the flash system on my Metallic Black Grand Scenic....it seems to work really well even used it on my van which tends to get covered in filth after a weeks driving.I would recommend it to speed up washing as you dont need to chamois after unless your like me...lol

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I've been thinking about this system too. I've just got a dark blue Laguna estate, and washed it for the first time yesterday. We live in a hard water area, and it was covered in small white circles when I'd finished (lime marks I guess). It took me over an hour to polish them all off. I never had this with my old car as it was a lighter colour, and metallic.

I'm just wondering if this flash system will still work ok in a hard water area. If you didn't have to chamois afterwards it would be great (there's a lot of panel area to an estate...lol) :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Uhm - I know what you mean:

MG ZT-T + 18" 11-spoke alloys = lots of chamois action!

I noticed in a magazine an advert for an industrial scale filter that clicked onto a tap with a normal Hozelock attachment. This gave something like 50 washes which sounds a bit more like it for about £40

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use this car wash system, spray come hose thingy and its great on my Black Metalis Fabia vRS, although a good old rub down with a leather is still needed to get those awkward bits of, but probably once every three washes instead of every time.

I think its great. :rofl:

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
alexst said:
I use this car wash system, spray come hose thingy and its great on my Black Metalis Fabia vRS, although a good old rub down with a leather is still needed to get those awkward bits of, but probably once every three washes instead of every time.

I think its great. :rofl:
And what a great looking Fabia RS it is ;)

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I've read a few reveiws of it on the net now, and they reckon it works too, even in a hard water area!

Apparently the last stage filter the tap water, so it comes out just like de-ionised water, so no contaminants in the water to leave those ring marks on your paintwork.

I think I'll give it a try, the Mrs works in Wilkinsons and she says they sell it there, and it's fairly cheap (plus the staff discount :d ).

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Ok - just contacted them to find out how many washes you get...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Dear Mr Knowles,

Thank you for your enquiry with Vertar.

Approximately ten litres of purified water should be sufficient to rinse an
average four door saloon car.

These figures are intended as guidelines only. Factors that reduce filter
life include, hard water sources, use from a water softener (due to added
salt content) and water from bore holes.

Given the information above here are the guidelines for your reference.

Hard Water Area
0ppm - 20 washes
30ppm - 25 washes

Medium Water Area
0ppm - 31 washes
30ppm - 48 washes

Soft Water Area
0ppm - 62 washes
30ppm - 70 washes

I hope the above information answers your queries but please do not hesitate
to contact us should you have any further.
I've just re-read the original page and actually that information was at the bottom - d'oh!

I reckon I'm in a medium area so approximately 30-50 washes. That works out at roughly £1 per rinse. The Flash refills are about £4.99 so that works out at about £1.50 per rinse. I suppose it's worth looking at...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Ok - what's the cheapest deal people can find on the Flash stuff?

21 - 40 of 74 Posts