Independent Renault Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
That filter system sounds ok, but for a hard water area like ours, they're saying 20 washes, so not much different to the Flash wash. Actually the Flash filters are £4.99 so you'd get 9 sets for the price of that, that would do 90 washes (I think they quoted 10 washes per filter set didn't they?).

I was in Halfords tonight, they do the Flash system for £20. I was looking at it, and it looks ok, same price as in Wilkinsons where the Mrs works. I think I'll get it in Wilkos though, as she'll get her 13% discount off it. :d

edit:
I noticed on that link the filter is called Aqua Gleam, so did a google and found their site. YOu can buy it direct from them for the same price, and the site has a faq and testimonials etc, if you think it's the way to go for you.

AquaGleam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Flash Car Wash

I've heard the system got a preety good write up by most car magazines.

However it's expensive!!

Cheapest for the system on e-bay £20, the filters that come with system only last 3 washes and so do the shampoo sticks. Replacement shampoo and filters £6-£7 on ebay, they last 10 washes.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Looks like it's cheaper in the shops then. Halfords and Wilkinsons, the system is £19.99, the shampoo is £3.99 and the filters £4.99 I think I'll be getting one tomorrow, I'll let you know how it is.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Just saw it in Woolies for £19.99 this afternoon too, so got it there, as Wilkos had none left. The Mrs who works there, reckons they've gone discontinued stock, so they probably won't get anymore in.

Dunno whether that just means Wilkos won't be stocking it anymore, or that the whole product is ceasing, making refills hard to get (I think it's probs just a Wilko thing). I've used it, it's drying now, so I'll let you know what it's like once it's dried. But you could see it beading off in streaks using the autodry setting, so looks promising. :)

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Well...the verdict!

Well...the verdict!

It has dried with a fair few 'watermarks', I use quotes as they may be wax marks from the shampoo. But I'd still say it was successful, at least compared to the last time I washed it normally.

The water did sheet away, and the bulk of the marks tend to be around the edges of the panels. I've polished it off with a microfibre cloth (courtesy of Poundland. Our cleaners at work even swear by those), and they polished off a lot easier than washing the normal way. They seemed more like wax marks really.

I'm thinking maybe I overdid the shampoo stage, or didn't rinse enough before the autodry stage. It might be better next time, as I get used to it. So if you fancy it, I'd try it.

They also give a one year guarantee on the box against not liking it. Just phone the number on the box to arrange a refund. So it must work if you get the hang of doing it right, or they wouldn't offer that guarantee.

One thing I did do was do each stage to the whole car first, before moving onto the next one. They say on the box to do the full process to an area at a time. So maybe it had dried too much by the time I got to the next stage, although it's an overcast day really.

Give it a go!! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Might just do that, although the system I use makes the car come up like it's just come out of the showroom. If it comes down in price I might give it a wirl.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The flash system may sound OK but I would never wash my car with anything other than by hand with a good quality sheepskin wash mit.......But everybody to there own..

·
Registered
2 Posts
HD462 said:
edit:
I noticed on that link the filter is called Aqua Gleam, so did a google and found their site. YOu can buy it direct from them for the same price, and the site has a faq and testimonials etc, if you think it's the way to go for you.
Guys, indeed you can buy it directly from the supplier, though we'd (Vertar) be more than happy to offer this forum a discount should you consider a group buy? Our shipping charges are also much lower.

Please call myself (Phil) or Brad on 0800 8046479

Alternatively, you can email us at [email protected]

Look forward to hearing from you!

Phil Conibere - www.vertar.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Ok - if you want one, please indicate your interest here so we can see if a group buy is worth the effort. Please copy and paste the names from the post above and add yours:

selwonk

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Back off hols now, car is ack-bound so will be getting a second go of the Flash system today. I'd have been interested in this group buy thing if I hadn't already got thr Flash system. Depends how much discount we're talking about really, I could still be interested in one as a back-up.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Oakley said:
The flash system may sound OK but I would never wash my car with anything other than by hand with a good quality sheepskin wash mit.......But everybody to there own..
Just to clarify, you do still wash by hand...using sponge, mit whatever you want. All the Flash system does is rinse, soap, (then you do the hand wash bit), rinse again, then a final rinse using it's de-ionised water setting.

Personally, I always preferred washing with a hose pipe and attached brush. Washing with things such as a sponge or mit makes it more susceptible to getting scratched. Using a water fed brush is always flushing the dirt away, so less likely to scratch.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Vertar

Phil,

Could you use this with an attached hosepipe and brush so you are washing your car with de-ionised water, or will the amount of water you'd use seriously reduce the life of the filter? ie, you'd get nowhere near the quoted number of washes?

I guess you could wash with normal water, and have the hose set up with a couple of snap connectors, and a coupling, so you could just drop the coupling, and replace with the filter inline for the final rinse could you?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes and Yes!

I've used it and yes, I think it is very good. Does leave a spotless finish. Only thing is the filters don't seem to last anywhere near as long as they quote.

Regarding cleaning wheels - I got a special "AutoGlym" brush - which was a conical shape, made out of hairs twisted in metal. The end had a plastic cap. I was cleaning my alloys and this plastic cap came off leaving two razor sharp cuts of metal protruding. Result - one alloy COMPLETELY covered in scratches. :devil: :devil: :devil:

I got a nice plastic brush now, specifically designed for cleaning alloys. That combined with the autoglym wheel cleaner does a good job and cuts down on the effort.

Cheers,

Nick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ivor_E_Tower said:
My Scenic has plastic wheeltrims over steel wheels. The Galaxy is the first car I have owned with alloys, and it takes an age to clean them properly, even using Wonder Wheels. I also seem to ruin a sponge every time I wash the wheels (I use 2 sponges to wash the car, one for the bodywork and glass, the other for the wheels).
Auto Glym alloy wheel cleaner works wonders BTW

·
Tourerman
2,226 Posts
Silverstone wheels are easy to clean, just don't let the crud build up! Wash them with soap and Water once a week using a sponge. It makes it a lot easier if you get them clean and then polish them properly

·
Registered
45 Posts
That flash thing uses rinse aid, as in dishwasher rinse aid!
Add a few drop to your bucket of water and throw it (the water) at the car!
P

41 - 60 of 74 Posts