Independent Renault Forums banner

Flat battery

2K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  Renoir White 
#1 ·
I hope somebody can help me me my Renault Grand Scenic Mark 3 2016 in the morning the battery is 100% dead flat I jump start it it it's good for the rest of the day day next morning flat again could this be the battery before I buy a new one or is there a problem with the car thanks

#5 ·
If it has been flat a couple of times it may be beyond saving. But check the alternator first- voltage at idle should be about 14.5- then turn on all the lights and the heater blower and it should stay at 14.5. If not suspect the alternator. But if the alternator seems OK and it's still going flat overnight after a full charge, the battery is probably toast.

#22 ·
Yes Dave,
Thats one hell of a Draw,

At that rate the battery would not last long enough to leave it a few hours and start the car again.
Yet he can leave the car and it will start in the day

Cannot see how the alternator could charge a battery that quick that it could last those few hours if the car was draining 4 amps
Would DEFFO get that Battery properly tested

#24 ·
no alternator will charge a flat battery EVER,
Alternator just TOPS a battery up.

If you see instructions on fitting a new alternator, battery must be fully charged first

Would be getting the battery charged on an external charger, then taking the battery down to a motor factor/garage and get the battery correctly tested
The worst thing to do on any electrics on cars is start pulling fuses/connectors off.

#25 ·
To me, with that sort of draw, there is a solenoid somewhere not fully operating so the wee beasty is still trying.
Agree with Ourkid, pulling connectors and fuses willy nilly is not clever, it needs some thought and logic applied.
When the car shuts down, various actuators power to default.... on a diesel, EGR is one..... any sign of it being hot or buzzing?
Any sign of buzzing around door locks?
Any lights on...including boot light.
Basically a good coating of looking at before jumping in.
Fully concur with charging the battery off car and getting it load tested.... don't care if it is only 2 years old, they can fail.
But if it has, should be covered on warrantee... most are guaranteed for at least 3 years now.

#29 ·
70A fuse and going to back of car?
Offhand cant think of what would take that sort of power... heated rear screen perhaps but seems high even for that.
Perhaps EPB?
Got a photo of the fusebox with the fuse highlighted?
Maybe someone can identify what it feeds?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.