Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi guys I was just wondering how tricky or easy would it be to replace the black plastic surround on the front foglight of my car. I hit a cat, it was pitch black on a country road and only time I saw it when I hit it. Took the fitting right off. I'll upload a picture of the damage. From the new set I got I can see it clips on but I don't want to damage anything when taking the last bits off. I'm also replacing the other side as I don't have the money for the chrome piece you can see in the second picture (it was cheaper to buy two) Any tips on how to do it myself would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Graham

Attachments

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,736 Posts
Re: Foglight plastic surround 2013 renault megane

WE Would luv to answer you
Can you post a picture of what you have bought, showing both sides of it..
We will have a better idea then ( No not being nosy :alllies: :grin2: )

·
39,736 Posts

Yep thats fine Graham..

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,008 Posts

Meeeeouwch!
At a guess the slots top and bottom of the recess will accept plastic tangs on the trim. They will have wedges on to pop in.
In my limited experience these things are not designed for removal and replacements almost never fit properly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're right there Brendan W, they have wedges on top, which is why I'm wondering how hard it would be to replace. The bits left on the broken side are wedged in and I don't want to force it or break anything further.

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,008 Posts

Tell the cat it's their responsibility :)
The break could have torn the plastic so there is now a lip preventing it moving either way. Gentle poking which may, in time, give way to not so gentle poking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I drove back after work the cat looked like a boomerang ***x1f605; I'll see what I can do with some gentle poking and see what happens.

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
22,402 Posts

Bodgers Inc. to the rescue!!

Cut off all bits that protrude so you have a surface that fits the surround and cement/glue in place Viola!!:wink2:

Just a suggestion!:laugh:

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
22,402 Posts

·
39,736 Posts

RTV sealant , never get it off, comes in Black, White and Clear, :grin2:

·
39,736 Posts

Oh yes..

Its also good for the rear crankshaft oil seal mounting plate on the Punto's

( Or so I heard :grin2: :wink2: :wink2:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I got it all sorted without the gaffer tape. I was able to cut off all the bits that were left, tediously. And the great thing is that I found the broken part that came off the car, took me ages as it ended up in a ditch and trucks and cars flying past inches away. The chrome part was fairly intact except for a couple of clips but if fit on the new part fine and straight on to the car. Thanks for the tips Brendan W and Scenic 11.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts