Independent Renault Forums banner

Do you or Have you used Foglights wrongfully?

1 - 20 of 259 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Night after night I am blinded by other drivers needlessly using their foglights when there is no fog.

Most drivers seem to think the vehicle looks 'cool' with the fog lights turned on without realising that it's dangerous to the oncoming traffic.

So, my question is, do you or have you ever used your foglights needlessly?

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
Ive voted maybe, I did use to use them on my old Laguna I as the halogen lights were pretty rubbish on their own.

HOWEVER, I have no need now as I have xenon headlights (so much brighter) on the Lag II, which means I dont need to use the foglights anymore (unless its foggy - DUH ! ) :d

I remember getting stopped by the fuzz once in my Vectra SRI coz I had my fogs on. I knew it was illegal and could be done for it, but just pleaded ignorance to the law and smiled sweetly and got away with a ticking off ! LOL.

·
Premium Member
16,417 Posts
I have in the past in my boy racer days. Now just use them when its foggy, HEAVY spray on a motorway or really dark unlit back roads round here.

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Have only ever used mine once and it was foggy,another light bugbear round here is the amount of cars that do not dip their lights when another car is coming, dazzling full beams could easily cause an accident

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Summer time really brings out the t---s who permanently have them turned on!. Summer day, blue Sky's, 25c and fog lights on:crazy: fools I say!.

Next time you see a car with them switched on take a good look at the driver, it will confirm all your preconceptions about these people!;) and if you cant see well enough with just the headlights then its really time to have your eyes tested or stop driving. There always seems to be an excuse to say" LOOK AT ME IM CLEVER I CAN DRIVE AROUND WITH MY FOG LIGHTS ON!"

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Any time I came across one these little twats with their fogs lit for no other reason than "posing" I tend to get mad:steam: If the wife is with me in the car she usually gives the "V" for victory shouts "narcissistic twats" (you can tell she done a degree in trick-cycling can't you) and starts to sing the "posing boy racer song" which goes something like this "I love, I love me, I'm daft about myself..... We both then break out laughing!!:rofl:
She has also been known to sing the song in super markets when some idiot starts to have a full blow converstaion on his/her mobile phone in the middle of the aisle and block other customers. Once a little spide challenged her about singing and she just claimed she was getting to that stage of life when we start talikng to ourselves - Oh Happy Days indeed:rofl:

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
my megane doesnt even have them, lol

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
I use the rear fog warning lights ONLY when absolutely necessary (and legal). There's nothing worse than being sat behind a car and being blinded by the array of high intensity reds. (All automatic drivers please note!)

I don't have front fogs fitted to my Kangoo (and wouldn't use them anyway because experience shows that they do nothing other than annoy people :mad: ).

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I've not used the foggy's yet as I haven't needed to. Only time I've used full beam is when going down an unlit country lane about a week ago at 9pm.

...And on my first night drive when I flashed someone not knowing you pull the light stalk back and it clicks the full beam on. I ended up blinding two people and mounting the kerb as it sent me a bit doolally cos I wasn't expecting it - I'm used to the Vauxhalls "pull back to flash, push forward to turn on" arrangement.

Ah the joys of being a new driver :crazy: :eek:

·
Banned
910 Posts
same with mine i had a vectra with pull to flash and back to full beam got in this and did same thing to someone though didnt mount kerbs but now just pull it slighlty before the ckick and im fine

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
I would say im a responsible driver but that doesn't seem to go well, but I only use the fog lights when its foggy(believe it or not) or when driving down an unlit country road. I always turn them off if there is a car infront or coming the other way. There is nothing worse than being blinded by fog lights, and everyone seems to use them round here like they are going out of fashion.
stef123

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
I agree rear fog lights can also be a menace when used in the wrong situation, drizzle rain a night it can be hard to distinguish between them and brake lights. It does make me scratch my head tho:confused: especially on the motorway when its p---ing it down and you cant see the end of your nose that people don't put them on, its probably the same people who drive around in summer with the front ones blazing away:crazy:

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I must confess that I used to use them instead of the headlights on the Mazda sometimes. My reasoning was that a car with pop-up lights was likely to have marginally better performance and significantly better economy with the headlights retracted. In any case, that was well over a decade ago.

Personally, I think they should make front fogs a legal requirement on all cars. The only attraction of them to most people is that they set their car apart from the cheaper models in the range. In daylight hours, the badges give it away, but at night, driving with your front fogs on is by far the best way to tell someone with the poverty spec version of the same car that you're so much better than they are. :yawn:

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Horatio your right they are trying to set themselves apart from normall people but not in the way they think!. When I see some one driving around with them on I don't think " Uww what a jolly nice car he must be doing really well!" I just think what a total w---er! and I think most people think the same. The same goes for after market exhausts, spoilers, body kits etc etc.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
You've only gotta ask my wife about this one :steam: :steam: . Drives me insane when people use their foglights at a time other than when it's foggy. In fact, it's very rare that the fog down this way is ever bad enough to utilise you fog lights.

Typically BMW drivers that think because they look better than their headlights they will use them for early night driving :steam:

I must say, the only time I would switch my rear foglights on when it's not actually foggy is if I were on a motorway and visability due to torrential rain was exceptionally bad - don't know whether I'm allowed to but my assumption is that it would aid drivers behind in not rear-ending me :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
16,417 Posts
You've only gotta ask my wife about this one :steam: :steam: . Drives me insane when people use their foglights at a time other than when it's foggy. In fact, it's very rare that the fog down this way is ever bad enough to utilise you fog lights.

Typically BMW drivers that think because they look better than their headlights they will use them for early night driving :steam:

I must say, the only time I would switch my rear foglights on when it's not actually foggy is if I were on a motorway and visability due to torrential rain was exceptionally bad - don't know whether I'm allowed to but my assumption is that it would aid drivers behind in not rear-ending me :rolleyes:
Do you not suffer from the bad sea mist that rolls in every now and again!?

1 - 20 of 259 Posts