Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
On the streets of Torbay there's almost a permanent display of clamped cars with 'UNTAXED' on big stickers on them - so I'm not sure what else will encourage people (maybe letting them know how many ANPR cameras there actually are in each area!)

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,752 Posts
Time was when pinching a month was traditional.
Worst you were ever likely to get was a b0ll0cking from the Old Bill if stopped with tax a couple of weeks out of date.

Then along came electronic records and automatic fines from DVLA if you didn't tax or Sorn in good time.
Not to mention ANPR and powers that allow police to seize the vehicle.
And roaming clampers.

So I am always surprised to find that the number of untaxed vehicles has supposedly gone up ??

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
The penalties for VED evasion are still to soft. If you end up with a court summons, the penalty on conviction is maximum fine of 5x the duty on the vehicle or between 100% and 200% of your relevant weekly income plus the amount of tax owed and court costs which would be £85 if you plead guilty. Does not attract any points on you're license.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,433 Posts
daughters car was on her drive (sorn) but bumper was over the path by around 50mm she came home from holiday with a sticker on her car saying it was untaxed she rang them up was told its ok its sorn then a letter came saying x fine was in place she rang again and was told she had to pay ,this was around sept this year so as far as i am concerned its to do with money nothing else
Ron

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
That's to do with lack of common sense Ron.
Did she pay the fixed penalty fine?
If it had been me I would have accepted the court summons and taken some photos along as evidence.
Usually the DVLA prosecutor would have a word with the attendee's ( not everyone turns up) and would ask the court to drop the prosecution after seeing the evidence as most Magistrates have enough common sence to see what's right.
The caveat to that is in the word 'most'. Not allowed to say any more than that.:smile2:

·
6,433 Posts
That's to do with lack of common sense Ron.
Did she pay the fixed penalty fine?
If it had been me I would have accepted the court summons and taken some photos along as evidence.
Usually the DVLA prosecutor would have a word with the attendee's ( not everyone turns up) and would ask the court to drop the prosecution after seeing the evidence as most Magistrates have enough common sence to see what's right.
The caveat to that is in the word 'most'. Not allowed to say any more than that.:smile2:
as she said she paid so no possibility of a larger fine and its done and dusted i have some pictures some where
if it was me i would had gone all the way to court
Ron

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,752 Posts
as she said she paid so no possibility of a larger fine ...........
In a nutshell, that is why many people simply pay.
Speeding (though that can be impossible to beat nowadays), parking tickets (often beatable), DVLA (who are relying on contractors who are expected to meet targets)

The problem is, that to fight many allegations, you need to be prepared to go to court where the fixed penalty offer evaporates and fines etc get far larger.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
If any part of the vehicle is in a public place whilst SORN'ed then technically it may need to have VED.

A neighbour of mine was fined where he parked his "sorned" camper van on his drive and its large high level rear cycle rack was overhanging the pavement. Personally I had no sympathy as the over-hanging cycle rack posed a hazard to a local neighbour who uses a guide dog. The area in which I live is used regularly for training of dogs for the blind and their owners and most neighbours are concious f the fact when they park.

I have been unable to find any rules or guidelines as to what proportion of a vehicle is permitted (if any) to be in a public space before it becomes an offence.

Imagine the money that could be saved if only the duty was added to the cost of fuel.

·
7,771 Posts
I think they are hell bent on road pricing but whether that will
be as well as all the other tax or instead of some is another thing,
cant see lecy cars being tax free once they get popular and as they
will find it hard to stop people charging off the mains instead of some
road tax charger pay as you drive could be it.

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,708 Posts
local boy here buys cars that are just about ready for scrappy and drives them about no tax ...never seems to get caught as he now has 3 parked on the street just now

·
Premium Member
6,564 Posts
I have no sympathy for VED dodgers. we live in an equal choice society, you choose to own a car you pay the running costs including VED etc. relevant to the car you own. If you don't want to pay road tax then buy a car that doesn't need it, they have just moved the rolling 40 yrs so you can now drive a Maxi, Avenger, Bluebird, Mk 1,2,3 Cortina etc. tax free. You choose to drive a newer car then you pay!.

I have the old girl MOT exempt (which I strongly disagree with!) and free road tax but she only does 27 MPG and service intervals are 3K, so I also own a newer car with lower running costs but liable to VED.

As Aleksandr Meerkat says -----Simples !

Al

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
the main reason for the rise in untaxed cars is the removal of the tax disc. This was done TO SAVE MONEY HA HA. It's a classic case of someone sitting in an office coming up with bright ideas that don't work in the real world. The old disc was a constant reminder to the owner of when the tax was due, and probably more importantly showed to all their neighbours as well. ANPR cameras are not on every road and it's quite easy to never pass one. It also enabled police patrols (very rare now) to spot untaxed vehicles at a glance.

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
local boy here buys cars that are just about ready for scrappy and drives them about no tax ...never seems to get caught as he now has 3 parked on the street just now
Lived next door to family where the father and son both drove untaxed cars..the father bought a BMW 3 series..had the log book complete not just the green slip he then didnt tax it cos his name was not passed onto the DVLA by the seller..the son did the same..well if daddy can do it why not the son ..:crazy: I will add that this is when the tax disc had to be displayed but it didnt put that lot off..:steam:

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
same here we have on our dead end road 9 YES NINE! cars owned by same family (they live on different road) dumped and parked here 3 are untaxed and uninsured and 1 long time parked (a camper van) other 5 are legal - council knows since may 2016, same as police and dvla - all refuse to do anything!

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
same here we have on our dead end road 9 YES NINE! cars owned by same family (they live on different road) dumped and parked here 3 are untaxed and uninsured and 1 long time parked (a camper van) other 5 are legal - council knows since may 2016, same as police and dvla - all refuse to do anything!
In my area the police or DVLA no longer chase parked cars with no VED. A local private company with a camera van carry out patrols. A few of my neighbours have been caught out. It may be similar in your area but as the cars are parked in a cul-de-sac then there are unlikely to be spotted by a passing camera van. If there is a similar arrangement in your area you now know who to contact.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I've never understood why an unused vehicle has to be insured to be parked on the road. In the UK insurers insure the driver not the car. For instance I have a motor trade policy (as well as my normal and classic ones) which allows me to drive any vehicle in my possession for purpose of repair etc. If the customer has let the insurance lapse theoretically it can't be parked on the road but I can drive it! Time to remove ved completely and raise the tax another way. Road pricing will be the next thing but someone will find a way to dodge it, that's the way life is!

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
7,226 Posts
just do what the French did a few years back, binned Road Tax altogether and put the price of fuel up, the more you used the road, the more fuel you used, the more tax you paid, even foreigners pay road tax in France, if they buy fuel that is

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just do what the French did a few years back, binned Road Tax altogether and put the price of fuel up, the more you used the road, the more fuel you used, the more tax you paid, even foreigners pay road tax in France, if they buy fuel that is
Thats the thing to do but you cant get it into the head of our government..they are blind to the fact.. :crazy:

·
6,433 Posts
the government are scared just think of all the 1000's of workers they would have to lay off
it was calculated some years ago they would not have to add any thing to petrol due to the amount of wages + more they would not have to pay
in one hand they want to make cuts but the other hand they wont do it
Ron

1 - 20 of 37 Posts