Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to get some information together for my brother who has a standard Ford Fiesta 1.3 1998 with lock problems.

He bought the car from a friend and the driver lock never worked. He'd have to unlock the passenger door and climb over which wasn't a problem for him. Now the passenger lock is knackered and the only way he can get in is through the boot!

Has anyone any advice to pass onto him? Anyone know about changing the locks (it doesn't have central locking). I suppose he could keep the original key for ignition/immobiliser and new key for new locks?

Is he likely to get new locks at a breakers?

I've advised him to buy a Haynes manual and I've looked on other forums, but the Ford one is currently being updated and therefore closed :crazy:

TIA

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
You can get a lock repair kit from Ford which you build the lock yourself and allows you to use the original key if you want to you.It's a bit of a fiddle,but worth it if you only want one key for the locks and the ignition.

You can use second hand locks,but you obviously need the key for them.They're very straight foward to change and shouldn't cost too much.:)

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry Lag, can't give you anymore rep points. But thank you for useful information as usual :)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
No problem.:)

You might get lucky and find a Fezzi with a complete set of locks(including ignition barrel) with a key,but Ford locks are notorious for wearing and giving problems.The keys also wear,so it might be worth investing in one of those too.:)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, does he have a spare key which is maybe less worn that he could try?

As Lagdti says - these keys do wear, and it might be worth trying another one (or getting a blank - it won't start the car - key) cut.

Might save a bit of money as well as all the time & effort involved.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there, does he have a spare key which is maybe less worn that he could try?

As Lagdti says - these keys do wear, and it might be worth trying another one (or getting a blank - it won't start the car - key) cut.

Might save a bit of money as well as all the time & effort involved.

I'll speak to him tomorrow when i go to mums :)

Thanks for advice ;)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Not a problem - hope he gets it all sorted out as quickly, cheaply and easily as possible.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Fiesta doorlock (who mentioned Ford in here)

Done this recently for a mate - stripped the drivers door - took out the lock - took it to my local locksmith who repaired it and made it suit the original key - he charged £24. He said if it had been badly worn he could'nt have fixed it. His motto is no fix - no fee (if only renault could think that way):d

1 - 11 of 11 Posts