Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since buying my Vel Satis (2nd hand) the wing mirrors keep moving to the wrong position when I unlock and open the door. Having memory mirrors is not much use if they only remember the wrong position.

I have tried on numerous occassions to set the memory by pressing the memory button (it beeps when position registered) to no avail. Briefly pressing the button will move the mirrors, but only back to the wrong position. The off-side mirror is usually OK, but the near-side mirror always points as far down as it can.

Can any of you whiz kids out there offer a solution, or at least know what is causing the problem?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine did exactly the same thing, only took Dealer 8 visits to cure it. Mine used to do the N/S though. they reprogrammed it. Finally saw the back of it today, Champagne is flowing. Now the proud owner of an Espace. Fingers crossed.
Have a set of roof bars for Vel if interested.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ever since buying my Vel Satis (2nd hand) the wing mirrors keep moving to the wrong position when I unlock and open the door. Having memory mirrors is not much use if they only remember the wrong position.

I have tried on numerous occassions to set the memory by pressing the memory button (it beeps when position registered) to no avail. Briefly pressing the button will move the mirrors, but only back to the wrong position. The off-side mirror is usually OK, but the near-side mirror always points as far down as it can.

Can any of you whiz kids out there offer a solution, or at least know what is causing the problem?
Hi,

I cant be certain if I can help ..and I do not have the manual with me.
I had similar thing when I used for the first time the second key card recently on holiday. The mirrors were way out the seat was not set correctly and the radio was not my usual stations.

Are you trying to reset the mirrors with the ignition on but before you start the engine. Having set it that way then press and hold the seat adjust button and remove the card. try it afresh to see if it has resolved the problem.

This might be a load of old twaddle, but hope it helps.

JohnM

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks John

My car is getting converted to LPG at the moment (yes, I know, I should have got a diesel) but when I get it back I will give it another go. I can't remember if I have reset it then removed the card before starting the engine - it might work. I have tried every other combination I can think of including moving the mirrors manually.

I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
memory mirrors

Hi Jason

No, I couldn't face asking Renault to look at it as they would bankrupt me. I've heard that it could be the potentiometers that need replacing or resetting. Apparently they take resistance readings to determine the position of the mirrors. How they work and how expensive they are I do not know. It could even be an old wives tale for all I know.

I have found that if you fold the mirrors before leaving the car, and then unfold them after you have set off again, they don't change their position. I suppose the fact that the car is moving overrides the mirrors desire to point in stupid directions.

If you do take the plunge and get them fixed, will you let me know? I'd be interested in a proper diagnostic and how much it costs.

All the best.

Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts