Independent Renault Forums banner

*** VOTE NOW :: Do you want a FREE RenaultForums car sticker? ***

41 - 60 of 253 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Uhm - rather you didn't at the moment. Were just trying to keep a low profile until we get a bit more established...

In regards to a caption - I'm hopeless at tag lines but I'd to see what others can come up with! ;)

O

·
0 Posts
I don't think there's a problem if you want to have your own personal sticker made up saying pretty much anything you want, just that if we do it, or sanction it, we would probably be in deep doodar. Even using za za zoom (which is a great idea) could still put is in danger of 'passing off'. I don't really fancy going up against a global concern the size of Renault :crazy:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
za za zoom...or not?

Your the Boss..

Let's get the thinking caps on and see what ideas flow...!
But advertising the forum is a must do !

Well going for supper, take care..and sleep well..!

Gordon

S

·
0 Posts
Nice one Gordon! Post something up if you think of anything. I'm just having a mull now, but as OG will tell you, it's not my forte! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Regarding forum and rear window decal..Again..

What about a simple Renaultforums.co.uk Done in italics, black lettering with white bordering...Just an idea..?

S

·
0 Posts
Yep - somebody has the Renault font I think, so it might work quite nicely. The key to keeping the cost down is using limited colours, so this might be just right...

Still needs a tagline though I reckon!

A

·
0 Posts
RENAULT SLOGAN IS "CREATEUR D'AUTOMOBILES"

SO SOMETHING ALONG THOSE LINES ME FINKS

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi!

I'm back!

I'm kinda glad you haven't decided what you want yet... it will give me a day or two to settle in.

Anyway, as regards copyright, I have a fair bit of experience regarding this. As long as you don't bring the Renault company's name, logo and image into disrepute, then you are actually doing them a favour.
"Va Va Voom" is a tag-line of sorts, the whole idea is that it spreads like a virus and that everybody uses it and associates it with the brand. For example, McDonalds would be over the moon if you all covered your car in stickers that said "I'm loving it!". This is actually mr marketing/advertizing guy's dream.

So don't contact Renault, if you do they will give it to the lawers and they will say no. If they actually give you permission to use their logo etc, then they leave themselves open to agro.
So just go ahead and use it, if they did have a problem with it, then they would let you know... and this is no big deal either... they won't drag you through the courts because it's too much money, time and effort over a few stickers (especially as they would probably lose). The very worst that would happen is that you would get a Cease and Desist" letter.
Companies that I have made stickers and badges for have recieved C&D letters from BMW and Rover - and that really was breach of copyright, as they were making metal and enamal badges and selling them, depriving BMW of revenue of a very large scale... yet all they got was several C&D letters and as far as I know, they ignore them. So don't worry.

Besides, the Renault font is in the public domain, Renaultforums.co.uk can use any font it wants. As for "Va Va Voom", this phrase dates from the 1930's and Renault has no more copyright over it than I have copyright over "Happy Birthday". You just cannot copyright language in common usage.

All in all, lawers aside, there is far less issue with this than there is with you using the actual Renault logo on the top of this forum.

The whole point of logos, trademarks, and tags is that you spread them far and wide with an aim to getting what is known as "brand familiararity" [sp], so don't worry about it as you are actually doing Renault a favour. You are helping to make Renault 'Cool'.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Good enough for me...And your thread was excellent by the way!
Well I for one would like a rear window decal, so in your own time if you can provide it, I am more than happy to purchase one, and pay the postage!
I wonder if there are any other Clio owners that would like one?....Or do we post a thread and see what the situation is first?

·
Registered
70 Posts
boyleg said:
Good enough for me...
i could give you another dozen reasons why it isn't a problem... a few years back McDonalds took a cafe to court over using the McDonalds "M". They lost, the judge slaged them off (he said that the cafe didn't bring the name into disrepute as they were a much better class of establishment!), it was a huge PR disaster, they lost the power of deterant - it's far better to have everybody scarred and throw threats around than actually go to court and risk losing. The whole thing is a no-brainer really.

Well I for one would like a rear window decal, so in your own time if you can provide it, I am more than happy to purchase one, and pay the postage!
I wonder if there are any other Clio owners that would like one?....Or do we post a thread and see what the situation is first?
I'm just going to do a load of assorted stickers and send them to Selwonk, he can do with them as he wishes... give them away or sell them, or both. I'm afraid I can't really spare the time to deal with individual packages.

S

·
0 Posts
Clean_Image said:
Hi!

I'm back!

I'm kinda glad you haven't decided what you want yet... it will give me a day or two to settle in.
Nice to see you mate! Did everything go as planned?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did OG make a post and then remove it?

I only got a chance to skim read it, I was going to reply!

Basically, you have already taken your biggest chance by using the Renault logo at the top of every forum page. Thats far more risky than the stickers... and thats no risk at all!!!
However, in America, so forums put "the unofficial fan site" just to avoid litigation.
Luckily, in Europe common sense still plays a part in the civil courts. Unlike criminal courts, they are NOT there to punish... they know they are there to 'settle disputes'. The first question the beak always askes the claimant is "what steps have you taken to settle this dispute before bringing it before the court?"
If they say "none", they are in big trouble, especially a huge company with corporate lawers which really should know better. The judge would probably throw the case out.

So before you go anywhere near a court, they have to try and settle any dispute which would involve asking you to stop using their logo or change it. Unless you dispute this request, you will never end up anywhere near a court.

Even if you did end up in court and lose, ... You have no money, Renault don't need your money, the judge knows they don't need your money, so the worst case is that he will tell you to stop using the logo.

In short there is no risk with this.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Further more - unless Renault do have an official forum, then you are not in competition... so no problem.

Even if they did, courts see competition as healthy so it probably wouldn't be a problem!

Thridly, there is no money involved, so you are not depriving them of revenue. Even if you did earn a couple of hundred thousand, this sort of money is hardly going to sink Renault's boat!

Believe me, I have been through this many times before, Iv'e been in court many times, I have research copyright issues, sought advice from lawers and govenment agences... it's just not a problem.

O

·
0 Posts
Danny

I did post mate but I was doing two things at once and by the time I'd submitted it you and selwonk had both posted and it wasn't as relevant so I binned it!

The bottom line is that we don't make any money out of this, infact it costs us money so why take a chance - simple as that really, I don't want a load of hassle. If I got a letter off Renault the site would be over becaue I'm not going to pay for the privilege of aggro!

You are a star man for offering to do the stickers and if you are good enough to do a few for certain people who want them then that is great and you can put anything on them you like - I won't slap a C&D on you for using www.renaultforums.co.uk ;)

That logo at the top by the way is taken from a picture of my Espace - so it's mine not Renaults, I paid for it ;)

N

·
0 Posts
How about you send them to me Clean_Image. If you're willing to do them, if I get them off you I can post them out no problem! What's the best way of me sending you my address?

N

·
0 Posts
I' like those Va Va Voom ones you did a picture of. Are these the ones that are being made

41 - 60 of 253 Posts