Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Thats great to know were paying taxes to fund there fri and sat night out:crazy: :steam:
Heroin is a bit more than a weekend drug i'm afraid Donald, most addicts become so sometimes after only their first or second hit. I'm no saint but thankfully have never used heroin, i can however understand why they may get reeled in initially cos the most ultimate high you could ever dream of is promised. i know addicts and users and i have sympathy for them. Its easy to say give it up, not so easy to do.

I think its a good idea, it might also give them a crime free record before going into rehab.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Heroin is a bit more than a weekend drug i'm afraid Donald, most addicts become so sometimes after only their first or second hit. I'm no saint but thankfully have never used heroin, i can however understand why they may get reeled in initially cos the most ultimate high you could ever dream of is promised. i know addicts and users and i have sympathy for them. Its easy to say give it up, not so easy to do.

I think its a good idea, it might also give them a crime free record before going into rehab.
Sorry cant agree at all nobody twisted there arms to do or start this but i would agree to helping them but i think they should be in indebted to society and pay the Treasury back

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
One way or another, we pay for their heroin as it stands, in the costs of crime and policing. From a simple financial point of view, it's probably cheaper to just give them the heroin. There are no dealer mark-ups, and no household goods changing hands for a fraction of what they cost.
From a purely selfish viewpoint, I'd rather pay for my doctor to give the stuff away than be mugged at the cash machine or have my house turned over.

And let's face it, they're already giving away free methadone, so why not just give out the proper stuff instead? Methadone might be useful for weaning people off heroin as part of a proper detox programme, but I suspect just handing the stuff out willy-nilly achieves very little. It'd be interesting to see the price comparison between the two drugs. I could be completely wrong, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if free, legally and commercially manufactured heroin would cost the taxpayer less than free methadone does right now.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
the movie ESCAPE FROM NEWYORK had it spot on, just let all the criminals get on with what they want to do and end up doing each other in,
that may be a deterent from crime

O

·
0 Posts
I'd like to see the majority of those committing crime to fund Drug addiction being given a free lethal injection to put them and us out of our misery. But if I said that publicly I’d be accused of being a bit radical.

Drugs and illegal immigration are the route of this country’s demise – Immigration is a debate for another thread but what we do know for sure is that, if we carry on as we are, the Britain that was once Great will be no longer.

I fear what this place will be like when my kids grow up – I can’t imagine what it will be like when they are my age, it’s a truly worrying prospect.

As Horatio said, if Heroin was given out freely it would cost next to nothing so perhaps it’s worth a try. Of course it wouldn’t be that simple because you’d have to make sure it was only given to existing addicts not to idiots who see it as a free way of getting kicks in the future, and there lies the problem – how will you differentiate. Perhaps we could have a sort of Russian Roulette – give out free Heroin but have 1 in 10 injections contain a combination of sodium pentothal, pavulon and potassium chloride, basically a lethal injection. That way there is a deterrent to stop people getting into it in the first place but it wouldn’t be a big enough risk to put off true addicts who run the risk every time they shoot up anyway.

To be honest whilst I have made light of this subject in one respect, I don’t think we are doing nearly enough to combat this problem – I vote YES.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cant believe these options they want to give i.e free drugs to addicts?.. wasnt it said smoking was an addiction also drinking?...well i do both of the formentioned, please can these also be handed out free? i will then put the money save to better cause(my good wife all ready has ideas ):d
on a serious note why not use the monies to help the charities at home like age concern and the diabled, it's the addicts choose to use these drugs its not forced upon them, why do the rest of use have to pay for there addictions!

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Accepted, they have a choice of whether or not to try the stuff in the first place, and most of us would not be so stupid as to even consider it. We'll stick with our legal drugs, such as alcohol, tobacco and caffine. Good drugs. Tax paid drugs.

Once a user becomes an addict (and with some of the class A's that can be from the first time someone tries them) they really don't have much choice. Well they do, but it's the choice between finding another fix and going through the hell of detox. I've got to admit at least some degree of sympathy, especially as you must be feeling that you have very little to live for in order to resort to the likes of heroin in the first place.

Treating drug addicts as 'a problem' rather than 'people', we could of course go for OG's radical approach, round them up and gas them :p Failing that, if we can't cure them, then why not just keep them quiet?

And it seems that this is the approach that's being suggested. Forget curing them - it doesn't work. Give them the drugs for free, and watch drug related crime figures drop through the floor. Some might say it's brushing things under the carpet. I say it's self-preservation for the majority. I'm not proud of thinking like this, I'm just being practical.

Oh, and I must apologise to to Bill Hicks for blatantly plagiarising his act back there. Well it's not like I'm the first person to do it. :p

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Maybe it's me but I cannot see how giving out free Heroin to drug users is going to see the crime figures drop, Free Heroin would only be issued as a stop gap process in the weaning people off the drug much in the way Methadone is used, And over the last 30 to 40 years that has not been very successful, Also we talk of Heroin as the only drug to which people can become addicted , Our whole Society revolves round drugs and it is looked upon as " Cool " by certain sections off our respective communities, Drug abuse is rife within the prison system which even there the Prison Authorities cannot stamp out in a closed environment with draconian methods of control, Drug addiction was once looked on as only a problem for the large inner city run down housing estates but today it is rife within all sections off the community and all walks of life, We the non addicts are as much to blame as the addicts, Drug dealers should be looked on the same way we look at sex offenders drive them out of our communities, Do not buy stolen goods, I personally do not buy stolen or knock off goods, We in Britain have just rolled over and ignored the escalating drugs problem now it is part of our culture to certain sections off our cummunities, And I'm afraid it is here to stay.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but here's the scenario.

A heroin addict needs some heroin. He hasn't got any, and he's already spent the last of his money on his last fix. His biggest drive is to get more of the drug by whatever means it takes. His only real option is crime.

And no crime is too low, as the end justifies the means in the addict's mind. These are the people who are mugging old ladies on pension day, often leaving them in hospital or worse.

Attempting to wean them off the drug will only help if that's what they want, and that is why methadone is such a failure. Many addicts on prescription methadone just sell the stuff to buy heroin, while others just end up addicted to methadone. When it comes to addiction, you can only help the people who want to be helped. For those who don't want to be helped, you can only hope that they come around to the right way of thinking before they've left it too late.

So, like most other repeat prescriptions, free heroin should come with the condition of periodic consultations with the patient's GP, where they can discuss the possibilities of counselling and getting themselves off the drug if and when it's right for them. In the meantime, giving them the drug for free at least means that they're not preying on innocent members of society in order to fund their addiction.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
So, like most other repeat prescriptions, free heroin should come with the condition of periodic consultations with the patient's GP, where they can discuss the possibilities of counselling and getting themselves off the drug if and when it's right for them. In the meantime, giving them the drug for free at least means that they're not preying on innocent members of society in order to fund their addiction.

Yes I agree with you to up a point Horatio, Free Heroin on a repeat prescription in a lot of cases would not meet the quantity requirements needed by some users, so I just walk into a Dr's/Clinic and say I'm a Heroin user where do I register and get supplied with my daily/weekly needs, And also a lot off low life's whether they have a severe Drug habit or not would still resort to crime.

I go to Court and I see people standing up and saying they committed the crime because they are addicts and it is like they have Diplomatic Immunity and should be excused for the crimes. If I stood up in court for drunk driving and said it's because I am an alcoholic, Would I be treated any different no, lets punish the crime first then look to rehab etc.

Regards

Ottoman
:)

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
:) nope totaly dissagree with the idea:steam: , why should us hard working people fund thier habitt.
bring all our troups home who are fighting for our country to give us a better life, and send them and the rapists and murders to iraq for a dose of reality!

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
:) nope totaly dissagree with the idea:steam: , why should us hard working people fund thier habitt.
bring all our troups home who are fighting for our country to give us a better life, and send them and the rapists and murders to iraq for a dose of reality!

Or Afghanistan, Cut out the middle man then they can grow their own.

regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
:rofl: good point lol

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Of course we shouldn't be funding anyone else's addiction. Nobody's proposing that this is an ideal solution. It's just swapping a big problem for (hopefully) a much smaller one. The idealogical approaches have all been tried. Maybe it's time to get realistic.

The big question is: Would crime drop if we handed out free heroin to addicts? The copper on record in the MSN article thinks it will, and I reckon he's right. No doubt you'll get some who'll use their full week's prescription in two days and then go out stealing for more, but at least that's two days out of seven that they're not ruining other people's lives. Others might even be able to pace themselves and give up crime completely.

In either case, it's a reduction in crime. Even if it doesn't offset the cost of the prescriptions financially, it's reducing the number of people whose lives have to be traumatised by assault and robbery. It has to be worth considering.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Of course we shouldn't be funding anyone else's addiction. Nobody's proposing that this is an ideal solution. It's just swapping a big problem for (hopefully) a much smaller one. The idealogical approaches have all been tried. Maybe it's time to get realistic.

The big question is: Would crime drop if we handed out free heroin to addicts? The copper on record in the MSN article thinks it will, and I reckon he's right. No doubt you'll get some who'll use their full week's prescription in two days and then go out stealing for more, but at least that's two days out of seven that they're not ruining other people's lives. Others might even be able to pace themselves and give up crime completely.

In either case, it's a reduction in crime. Even if it doesn't offset the cost of the prescriptions financially, it's reducing the number of people whose lives have to be traumatised by assault and robbery. It has to be worth considering.

Yes all avenues are worth considering Horatio I agree but as the link below shows .... Prescription or not this would still happen.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/front-page-news/16321-mother-jailed-drug-car-deaths.html

Regards

Ottoman
:)

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Yes all avenues are worth considering Horatio I agree but as the link below shows .... Prescription or not this would still happen.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/front-page-news/16321-mother-jailed-drug-car-deaths.html
And the only way you'll stop that is to ban all drugs that affect the user's actions and ability to assess risk. And if they ban alcohol, then I'm definitely emigrating.

I like my drugs. Legal ones, of course. I've given up on nicotine, but alcohol and caffiene are here to stay. Used responsibly, they don't cause a problem. The issue with the above story was that someone apparently got behind the wheel of a car while incapable through drugs. The fact that they were illegal ones isn't relevant. This would have been just as bad if she'd consumed excess alcohol.

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Hmmm so drug addicts get free drugs, at present they commit crime to fund their habit, now thay get all this help, yet it is more important to ban smoking :confused: :mad:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts