Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
7,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok
Just to put some perspective on this, I have played with computers since I was in secondary school, I have owned my own computer when the 386 chip came out, anyone born after 1985 we had moved on from then, I have built my own PC's up until 2 years ago when I bough my first pre built gaming beast that is shown in my garage on here, I hold a BSc in Information technology and Maths and i used to write pHP code for a private Company on the side, I therefore ha ve a wee bit of experience in computing ( I even have a virtual machine running Windows 3.1) and I will aid people in this respect as much as they need, but as a starter for 10 here are two bits of freely availabale pieces of software.

1. Diagnose System problems or just be nosey on how your system is doing Piriform Speccy, go for the free version from Filehippo from the link given and you will be fine - what it shows you is your system as in the image below

2. The second one is Revo Uninstaller ( free version) this is a safe way to uninstall porgrammes and make sure everythign is gone from tour system, it will allways ask for admin rights to run, it will search your system for programmes ( could take a while!) wait for thr word "Ready" in the bottom left hand corner. find the programme you want to unistall and under normal settings ( you can change them if you want) it will create a "System Restore" file prior to doing anything, starts the systems own uninstall programm, then searches the registry for bits left behid giving you the option to delete them then searches the hard drive for bits left behind with same option.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,629 Posts
Not taking the P155, I had a 387 :nerd:

·
Premium Member
8,605 Posts
I used Timex (ZX clone) when I was a kid, about 9 y/o- local club had them to keep kids off from mischief - mostly games loaded from tape, but did see some programing - my neighbour was taught by a student.
Then it was said neighbour dad's PC XT (yes, 8808), then parents bought me Atari 65XE, did some LOGO & Basic, went to high school (14 - 18 y/o) where we did IT on PC AT, 286 and even 386... Said neighbour - she was in higher class - is still works in IT, as some of my class mates.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,672 Posts
Sorry to divert but a ZX game, some sort of dungeon and dragons and text based.
You read a description of the "room", gave instructions like "collect item" "Open Door" "Kill"
One point, got to a room with a beautiful woman encased in ice, obviously had to get her out so set to with the tools already collected.
"Axe" ...... "Not powerful enough"
"Sword"....."Not powerful enough"
"Fire"....."Not powerful enough"

About all left in the arsenal was a screwdriver so "screw"
The reply....
"First you have to get her out of the ice"

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,785 Posts
Played similar game on my Amstrad CPC464 ..must've been about 1984/5 or thereabouts

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,760 Posts
Back to the subject line... and check our NirSoft - freeware utilities: password recovery, system utilities, desktop utilities - loads of really useful free stuff here. RunAsDate is a clever little tool that will stop your trial programs expiring (works with most, not all). password recovery tools are really useful.

And yes I do remember the early computers. Built AppleII's, 286's, 386's etc. Had a Sinclair, commodore 64. Still haven't tried a Raspberry pi though. Current home desktop is home built although struggling a bit now with Windows 10.

·
Super Moderator
13,629 Posts
And yes I do remember the early computers. Built AppleII's, 286's, 386's etc. Had a Sinclair, commodore 64. Still haven't tried a Raspberry pi though. Current home desktop is home built although struggling a bit now with Windows 10.
Nascom 2 ???:nerd:

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,840 Posts
Think I have a couple of Sinclair tupperware boxes in the loft
ZX something or other I think.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
7,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Think I have a couple of Sinclair tupperware boxes in the loft
ZX something or other I think.