Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I want to replace my rear drum brakes with a disks. The car is Megane mk1 Phase 2 1.6 16V. Can I take everything i need from a Scenik or a Grandtour ? I know that from a Coach everything works apart from the handbrake wires.
I need the disks (gettin' new ones), the ABS sensors, the calipers, new pads ... I will buy a hole rear ***1072;xel and take what I need and what i can use.
The question is:
Is there difference between the rear disk brakes from a Grandtour, Coach and Scenik ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the correct question is Why not. The front disks of my car are 280mm ATE Power with ATE pads and I think it will be better to have stock rear disks than a stock drums. The disk is more efficient in a long term of stopping, easier to service and even if you want to - better looking with my open rim ... I think there is nothing wrong if someone wants to improve the stopping of the car.
But if you want to tell me something, please do it. I'm open to suggestions and i'll be very happy to hear some proposals ...

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,432 Posts
The greater braking force is taken by the front brakes and tyres. If your rear brakes are too powerful they could cause some instability by making the rear tyres lock up and skid. Would the ABS control that under normal driving?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The greater braking force is taken by the front brakes and tyres. If your rear brakes are too powerful they could cause some instability by making the rear tyres lock up and skid. Would the ABS control that under normal driving?
I agree with you. Last week I drive my friend's car which is the same model as mine. He has the same engine and rear disk brakes. I felt the deference between my brakes and his. But the rear was feeling much better. I hit the brakes at the middle of the corner and there was no sigh of over steer or what so ever. I think the hand break is a bit ... loose but that is ok for me, especially that I don't use it often.
So the question is:
are the brakes from Grand tour and the Scenik mk1 are the same as the Coach ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
please post pictures from your mod! :)
I have both mk1 ph2 BA10 and mk1 ph2 KA04 (grandtour), both are rear drums. Looking to change this, was curious tho from what it will fit?

·
Registered
1 Posts
please post pictures from your mod! :)
I have both mk1 ph2 BA10 and mk1 ph2 KA04 (grandtour), both are rear drums. Looking to change this, was curious tho from what it will fit?
The rear disk brakes and capilers can be used only from coach ... The Scenik and grand tourer are with different brake calipers. They are sh*tty and doesnt work properly. I bought all yhe things i need. But i dont have time to do it 'couse im doing it myself. But you will need a handbrake wires and the caliper pipes. If you have some questions - younarr welcome ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The grand tour brakes will work (the other post is mine) but they are from a different manifacture and they fill up with dirt and have issues. Try to find a Megane Coach 2.0 16V form 1996 to 1998 and get the brakes, calipers, disks, knuckle, ABS sensors, handbrake wires, the brake pipes, brake pads and THE BOLTS !!!

But you have to know something. The ABS ring from the drum brake should have to have the same amount of teeth as the new drum brake which is kind of difficult to find. They have different inner diameters. The drum brake has 44 teeth. I have send you my E-mail on PM. If you have some question, i will try to help you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts