Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently developed a clunking noise coming from front end of car, which you can feel through steering and footwells. more noticable at low speeds when pulling off or coming off accelerator and slowing down. once car has warmed up. seems to do it over even roads as well as bumps.any ideas what it could be???

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would say ball joints or tie rod/track rod ends. The best way to check is to jack the front end up, making sure the wheels are off the ground, and also make sure the car isn't going to go anywhere (safety first) Then grab the wheel and check for side to side movement, then top to bottom movement. Also check that the wheels bolts are tight, and also, which I found on my espace, check that the brake discs are tight to the hub, which mine were'nt. Remember safety first. hope this makes sense as I've had a few today:p

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
What car is it on,Clioscenic?

Front anti-rol bar links,ball joints or even engine mountings can cause similar noises.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes I agree with the last two replies, if its an pre 2001 Laguna, check engine/gearbox mounts or even the drive shafts if the noise is related to the on/off throttle, and drop links or strut top mounts if its rattling over an uneven road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Help

I have a Megane Coupe x-2000 which has exactly the same problem, especially when the car is warm - doesn't happen when its cold! Been back and forth to the Renault Garage and still can't find the problem. Did you ever get the problem sorted? It's driving me crazy!

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I get a similar issue - but only when warm especially when the car has rested for a bit - again Renault to date have found nothing wrong. As it only happens when warm (and by the way does not occur when we have cooler weather) wondered if it is related to gearbox - hope not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I should have added that you can feel the clunking/knocking through the steering wheel. It happens when you go over bumps at low speed and in a straight line but as i say only when i have driven for 15 minutes or so. From cold you cant tell i have the problem!!!!!:(

·
Registered
8 Posts
if you do a forum search just with the word knocking and take a look at renault scenic knock over bumps fixed with pictures (by cosrush) he says it may be top engine mounting. My scenic does same garage are saying i need a new gearbox:mad: :mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts