Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that I'd share some knowledge which recently fixed an intermittent but noisy front-end knock on a 1995 Megane Scenic.

The 'knock' or 'clunk' sound occours when manouvering at slow speeds or even standstill (i.e. parking the car and turning the steering), sometimes when hitting a pothole or speed bump, and occasionally when braking to a standstill or pulling away. It didn't especially knock during actual driving.

The noise comes from the front of the vehicle, from the floor area (although this can sometimes be difficult to identify).

The cause of the noise is the front subframe moving against the vehicle body (very slightly, of course). It's known in the trade as 'subframe crack-noise'. The simple fix is to park the car on a flat surface with the roadwheels pointing forwards. Slacken the large front subframe mounting bolts (4 at the rear of the subframe, 2 at the front). The re-torque the bolts to the correct torque as specified by Renault (Megane Scenic II - 105Nm). Haynes manuals will tell you to use new bolts, but this isn't required unless they've been in and out a few times or are damaged.

I share this information as a friend had taken her vehicle to the garage neumerous times to fix the knock, and after replacing various suspension parts and engine mounts, they had drawn a blank. I have experience as a R&D engineer and later investigating acute warranty concerns with Nissan (Renault's sister company) and recognised the concern as the same as that experienced with some Nissan models (sometimes from new, sometimes after significant mileage).

This fix will undoubtably apply to other Renault models too (and some Nissans).

I hope that this helps somebody.

Si

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for this solution. I'd had the same problem for a while and was about to lay out on new engine mountings, as had been recommended on other posts, when i read this. Tried your answer to the problem and it worked.

Once again many thanks

:d

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Hi I have a 2005 Megane Sport Tourer, wondered if this is something that can be done with simple equipment and flat ground?

I have socket sets and a trolley jack / axle stands,
wasn't sure if I'd need anything else.

Also, where are the bolts located would I need to remove the engine splash guard?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had similar problems - low speed knocking and have had my car (2003 laguna 2 diesel estate) checked a couple of times in the last two months bu threy found nothing.

Today one of the frront suspension mounting bushes has gone and when I go over a bump the bonnet lifts a little bit. I would expect that if it was out mof shape it could cause the problem you said as the suspension would not be level.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I thought that I'd share some knowledge which recently fixed an intermittent but noisy front-end knock on a 1995 Megane Scenic.

The 'knock' or 'clunk' sound occours when manouvering at slow speeds or even standstill (i.e. parking the car and turning the steering), sometimes when hitting a pothole or speed bump, and occasionally when braking to a standstill or pulling away. It didn't especially knock during actual driving.

The noise comes from the front of the vehicle, from the floor area (although this can sometimes be difficult to identify).

The cause of the noise is the front subframe moving against the vehicle body (very slightly, of course). It's known in the trade as 'subframe crack-noise'. The simple fix is to park the car on a flat surface with the roadwheels pointing forwards. Slacken the large front subframe mounting bolts (4 at the rear of the subframe, 2 at the front). The re-torque the bolts to the correct torque as specified by Renault (Megane Scenic II - 105Nm). Haynes manuals will tell you to use new bolts, but this isn't required unless they've been in and out a few times or are damaged.

I share this information as a friend had taken her vehicle to the garage neumerous times to fix the knock, and after replacing various suspension parts and engine mounts, they had drawn a blank. I have experience as a R&D engineer and later investigating acute warranty concerns with Nissan (Renault's sister company) and recognised the concern as the same as that experienced with some Nissan models (sometimes from new, sometimes after significant mileage).

This fix will undoubtably apply to other Renault models too (and some Nissans).

I hope that this helps somebody.

Si
This is interesting. My megane coupe 04 plate makes a knocking noise when moving after it has been turned to full lock. I have had drive shafts checked and all is ok. also drive shafts make a much deeper knocking noise and would only do it in the direction that the shaft is worn. My Megane does it in both directions. The noise has been a puzzle to me and the two very experienced ex Renault techs that look after it. I have forwarded this info to them and will await their reply. Thanks this could be great news....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts