Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!
I had a costy and awfull adventure after clutch replacement which I made at my local service.Almost very soon to when I received my car I experienced a metallic noise coming from front left and seemed to relate with suspension.Being on a short trip on weekend, I returned and inform my mechanic who tested the car on the road and could not hear anything(that was true,I was next to him).Next morning ,after 100 meters drive,I heard a terrible crack sound and felt that front left suspension is seriously out of order.I moved the car by road assistance back to the service and he claimed that front left shock absorber was out of it's mount which was broken. So he suggested me to change all absorbers (front left had become faulty and back right had an oil leakage) and both front mounts and I did so.

I had Kyb excel-g un for just 26000 km and replaced with Monroe oespectrum.
The question is about I now suspect that if he had to unmount left absorber during clutch replacement he may not tighten the bolts on the mount properly and that caused the whole disaster.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Ioannis

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
5,177 Posts
I suspect that you are correct.
Back right may well have an oil leakage.
That is easily checked. Have a look at it and see if it's wet.
However it has little or nothing to do with the front left.
It sounds like classic distraction. Make them look somewhere else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response!
It's not clear to me what you really say.May my poor English do not help enough.
My point is to define if the mechanic had to unmount the left asborber in order to replace clutch and he did not properly tightened it.
If this is so ,at least I shall look for an other service station.
Best regards,
Ioannis

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
5,177 Posts
If you go to another service station he walks free.
I would challenge him with the very likely fact that he did not fasten up properly.
If he denies it, go somewhere else. He does not value your business.
In Ireland we have a complaints procedure for cases like this. Make a complaint. It may take some time but it can have good results.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,070 Posts
When changing a clutch, the front left has to be disturbed, at least at the bottom, to get the drive shaft out.
But I don't know that the top needs loosening or undoing at all.

What are you calling the mount?
Top or bottom ?

Can you show us a photo or find one and mark the broken bit?

This video will give you an idea what the job entails and what needs disturbing around the strut.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,292 Posts
Not sure he would touch the top or bottom bolts to do the clutch really..
Its bumper off, front subframe off, and rear subframe off, so he would have undone the pinch bolts to the wishbones..
Dropped subframe out the way or lowered that side that the box comes out to slide it off, and wedge the box on the subframe..
Never removed a shocker to change a clutch on these, .

The car would be up in the air, the front shockers would be hanging , so putting strain on these bolts, but unlikely this would cause an issue..
He might have undone the centre nut to make it easier to turn shockers, but again unlikely ..

Is it just possible, that nothing had been touched at the top as you would have had to undo these 3 bolts , did they come out Easy, as these tend to rust up and are not easy to remove if been in for any length of time..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems in the video that top mount is not interrupted during the whole job.In my case the top mount was found torn and the upper screw thread of absorber axle was smashed in a length of about 3 cm.
So if the mechanic did not touch top mount what a reasonable explanation might be for what happened?I think I 'll also ask info from another service station.

Thanks again!

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,292 Posts
Wear and tear.

Reactions: Ioannis

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The wear of thread is about 1 cm.Unfortunately I did'nt kept the torn mount...For me it remains a very strange coincidence...Absorbers had run about 28000 km.May be faulty top mount (new on absorbers change) was not of a good quality.
Thank you all!
Ioannis

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,070 Posts
Don't think you would have any chance of making any case against the garage who did the clutch.

They have no reason to touch the top mount.
The strut is a self contained unit unless that top nut is undone, can hang free with no ill effects to the point of failure.
Would be putting strain on the rubber but that is a big, strong metal/rubber unit.
Unfortunately they do wear and that is about as much as I could ascribe to the clutch, that during the change, wear and tear plus the extra load caused it to fail.
The bigger part being the wear and tear, a decent mounting would not have failed.

We do see similar with engine mounts failing when major work is carried out.
Engine should never hang on anything except all the mounts unless properly supported but they are strained even when supported.
Old ones fail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts