Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Not to sure if this is what people post threads about, new to this site, any help is appericated

Okay so recently I was involved in a crash, I went into the back of someone, of course my car is damaged. Not in a rush to get it fixed but would like it done asap, before my MOT, end of April, also bit paraoid of the bonnet coming up while driving, I beleive to to be unlikely but still.

As you can tell from the pictures it has pushed the front in, thus it isnt possible to open the bonnet so its hard for me to tell what other parts I need. It does drive fine incase you was wondering.

Okay so bonnet and a slam panel which I have purchased from a local scrap yard.

My uncle who has agreed to do the work, says I need a new headlight, the plastic parts which hold it in place have cracked due to the crash. He also says I need the part which goes under the slam panel. I went to the scrap yard and there was a guy who didnt know what he was doing helping me and claimed it needed to be cut off rather than just unscrewing bolts etc.

the red lines on picture is the slam panel part I already have, I need the other part(s)

Can anyone confirm if this does need to be cut off, I dont really trust the persons judgment?
And what other parts do you guys think I need?

Attachments

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Hi iMRG & welcome to the forum, I'm Sorry to hear about accident :(

I've moved your thread out of Engines you'll now find it in Bodywork.

Oops I almost forgot, I've also attached the Img files directly into the Forum too.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
In all honesty You really need to get stripping before you know eaxactly what parts are required. Not all body parts are bolt-on some are welded to strengthen the framework of the car but the stripping process will reveal which is which.

I take it you have had the wheel alignment checked to see if there is any underlying damage which may cause serious problems later. No point in lashing out money on repairs only to find you are faced with greater expense later on. Even expert body shops can run into such problems

I take it you have notified your insurers- they may take a dim view if the repairs are not up to professional standards. Also failure to report could end up invalidating your insurance cover.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes.

Looking at that damage, you'll definitely need a bonnet, slam panel and front bumper. The headlights only have three screws so you may have been lucky there. However, there is a metal bumper bar that runs directly behind the plastic bumper. If you have bent this then you will need a bodyshop to pull it out and repair it. There may also be damage to your air con radiator (if you have it) as that sits directly behind the vertical part you have bought with the slam panel (that vertical bit is held on by two bolts, don't cut it off!)

I had the front off my Clio when I changed the radiator, there are some pics in this link which shows you what is behind the bumper including the metal bar I mentioned. The air con radiator sits in front of the engine radiator.

Good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a similar prang a few years back in my Clio, except I needed a bumper, slam panel, headlight, minor repair to bonnet paintwork, re spray to wing where paint cracked & labour costs to check for leaks to radiator etc - came to £1200 for original parts (new), paint & Labour - just paid my £100 excess (insurance effected following year but got my Clio back on the road and looked better than before! This happened 7 years ago and back then, my insurer only agreed to the cost of repair to my Clio because of the favourable review of the car pre-accident condition - nowadays the car is only worth anything to me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts