Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
i have a mk3 renault espace and mot failed on front suspension arm ball joint dust cover. can i replace the dust cover or is the dust cover part of the ball joint?
thanks for any help

·
Registered
51 Posts
Pretty sure this means the rubber boot has split. I think you can buy replacement boots but chances are if it has split then dirt and water will have got into the ball joint already so better just replacing the full thing. I did both front ball joints on my megane 2 on the road outside house and made a press myself so didnt even have to take the bottom arms off

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,560 Posts
i found by the time you have removed the cover measured it ordered it you may as well just renew the whole thing they aint expensive
Ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. i do believe my ball joints are push fit so i don't know how easy it would be to replace the whole thing. would i not have to remove the whole wishbone? i'll keep this updated.

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
Hi i would just change the complete wishbone.The rest of the wishbone will be showing signs of wear-bushes.You really need a special tool to press in the ball joint,ive seen lots of ball joints that have failed after fitment-makes a bit of a mess!

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,560 Posts
Hi i would just change the complete wishbone.The rest of the wishbone will be showing signs of wear-bushes.You really need a special tool to press in the ball joint,ive seen lots of ball joints that have failed after fitment-makes a bit of a mess!
agree on checking the whole thing
but the main push joint is very easy to do there is a good video on how too on YouTube as long as you fit it correct it will be fine if in dought get the whole thing
Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts