Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to have a go at fixing the drivers side rear electric window last night when I got back from work.

With the help of folk on here and a rather good guide I managed to fix the passenger side front window on Friday past. Here is the guide for the front window by the way incase anyone needs it

http://sites.google.com/site/proluxelectronics/how-to

Right so last night it was on to the back window using this guide below (see link). I know this is for a speaker upgrade but it does detail how to remove the back door panel to gain access to the regulator

http://www.ray-lee.co.uk/megane/PDF/RearSpeakerUpgrade.pdf

The setup for the back window is a little different and I found it harder to get to and unscrew the actual module from the motor. Anyway I did manage it and on disconnected the main wire to the module I could instantly see water and the silly renault gel seal inside the cap was all wet.

So I got the module out anyway and sprayed it all down with Maplin Electronic Solvent Cleaner and allowed it to drain off a little. I fitted the cap back on the black box that holds the module and sealed it well with some clear silicone sealant.

I then managed to get the door panel back on (I find this to be the hardest part of the job) and decided to give it a try!

Again it WORKED! Oh the joy of it all lol.

Went to work this morning and it was still working well along with the rest of the windows. Came out of work this afternoon and guess what? The same back window that I fixed last night has stopped working again :confused: :crazy:

What could have went wrong? The only thing I can thing of is the black box (module) may not have been fixed tight to the motor and the connection between the 2 has came loose? I say this because I dont think I managed to tighten the small Torx 10 screw up the whole way when fixing it to the motor.

Arrrrgghh anyone have any ideas?

·
Administrator
14,789 Posts
I would try and give it another clean and clean the connector plug to it as well... just in case! If this doesnt work maybe there is a loose wire going to the module! :eek:

Does the drivers control work the window? or do neither switches work?

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would try and give it another clean and clean the connector plug to it as well... just in case! If this doesnt work maybe there is a loose wire going to the module! :eek:

Does the drivers control work the window? or do neither switches work?
Cheers for the reply Heather. Unfortunately neither of the switches are working the window although both did work it when I put everything back together first time around.

Do you think it may just need a good clean again or could it be something more sinister? The other 3 windows including the fixed front passenger window are all still working fine.

·
Administrator
14,789 Posts
I'd have go check my manual or the haynes one to see which one has the window fuses... it should be in your manual though! I'm pretty sure there are a few fuses for the windows! maybe do a search and see what you can find out.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heather I changed the fuses for the windows. There is one 25 amp fuse for the front windows and another 25 amp fuse for the back windows. No joy

I did have to reset the drivers front window but still no movement with the drivers side back window?

Do you reckon I may have to get the regulator module out again or do you reckon its just a loose connection going to it?

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just had another go at fixing the back window again :(

Not good. Got the door panel off ok, well one of the clips is kinda broken now, buts thats not the biggest problem :censored:

I had my child in the front seat listening to her Disney CDs so the car electrics were on. Upon trying to remove the black box (module) it started smoking! :crazy:

I quickly went and turned the car electrics off and pulled out the key card. I got all the clear sealant I had previously put on in the previous fix off again and unplugged the black box from the main connection that goes to it!

Arrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhh!!!! The connection was all burnt and melted and some of the actual connector prongs were gone! Presumedly burnt right off! The whole thing is duffed. What the hell can I do now?

If I go to a breakers yard will they allow me to just take the black box (module) and perhaps cut off the connection that connects to it. By the other connection I mean this one in the pic below

Would it even be possible to re-connect all this?

Fathers Day and I feel like crying lol

·
Administrator
14,789 Posts

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahhh thats awful! Something must have shorted or over heated or something :(!
You may be ablel to get a new control module on ebay
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=Renault+regulator+control+module&_sacat=0&_odkw=2007+Renault+regulator+control+module&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313.... these are only a few examples! :eek:
You may be able to get it from a scrap yard, though they do try to sell the motor as well!
I'll keep my eyes open for solutions. :)

Heather thats great. Thanks very much for the links as they are very handy.

What about the actual connection that the module connects to? The plastic connection part looked a bit melted. Would it be easy enough to reconnect the wires to this? I mean the main wire that runs to the module.

Could it be also possible that some damage could have been done to the actual motor?

I am an idiot. I think this has happened because I had the electrics on when trying to remove the module. I kinda forgot myself as my daughter was sitting in the front seat listening to her Disney CD.

Im a plonker! :crazy:

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:(

I have just noticed those ebay links are not for actually buying the module but a repair service. I think my module is actually beyond repair. Some of the black plastic outer casing is melted and some of the prongs are actually burnt off :(

I presume there is probably also damage done to the actual chipboard inside the plastic case

·
Administrator
14,789 Posts
I see what you mean! I hope the motor wouldn't be affected but afraid you won't be able to tell til you've got the rest sorted! :eek:
Try this....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Megan...CarParts_SM&hash=item415af76b74#ht_500wt_1156 or maybe this?? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120737424919#ht_500wt_1156 or you might be better trying to get the whole part from a breakers! How damaged is the electrical connector to the box! I'd check the wires etc and see if it is badly damaged! If it is... how good are you with a soldering iron? :crazy:

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see what you mean! I hope the motor wouldn't be affected but afraid you won't be able to tell til you've got the rest sorted! :eek:
Try this....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Megane-Window-Motor-02-08-Drivers-Front-Rear-/280699038580?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415af76b74#ht_500wt_1156 or maybe this??
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120737424919#ht_500wt_1156 or you might be better trying to get the whole part from a breakers! How damaged is the electrical connector to the box! I'd check the wires etc and see if it is badly damaged! If it is... how good are you with a soldering iron? :crazy:
I think Ive made a right henry halls of this. The main connection that runs to the module will need fixed up before I even attempt to reconnect a module to it.

Do you know the main part (white connector) that plugs onto the module? That has seen some damage in terms of the white part being melted.

I guess I would need to get one of these first and then attempt to connect all the wires to it. Would these need soldered?

Im an idiot! Still cant believe I completely forgot the car electrics were on.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The connector from the module to the motor or the connector with the main wires on it to the module?
The connector with the main wires on it that plugs into the module. I has like a white face on it with holes etc.

What are they called and where would I even get one!?

Arrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhh this car is driving me mad and I only have it 2 months! :screwloose::rant:

·
Administrator
14,789 Posts
You should be able to get an electrical connector and rewire the wire into it!! The fun is going to be sourcing one! An electrical supplier may be able to get you one the same size and shape!! Connecting up the correct wires may be fun! :crazy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.