Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, thanks for letting me join here & of which I have found many fixes, however I have a wee issue that I hope someone can help with.

I got a Renault Megan convertible 2.0 Diesel, it sat for 13 months not moving, no windows worked & the top dash display that shows you radio etc, is half working, fan & display only works half on etc, so am sure there is damp somewhere.

I fixed the windows & took pics & a video how to repair the window regulator modules & a video how to change broken rear window cables which I will get on line soon, I also changed the alternator as it was goosed.

after window repair, when the car is started & running, the front wipers start to move bit by bit up the window, this also happens when the indicators are working too & when I operate any of the windows, also when I operate anything electrical in the car, the dash lights dim, go bright, dim etc. so also after reading several threads on here, I took out BCU to dry as thought it maybe damp, put back & still same issue, removed engine bay fusebox, opened to dry out & also found a 7.5 fuse blown & which I got no idea what it is for.

now I still got fusebox out as I am thinking I will just start a trace & buy a new wiper motor, pop it on then see if issue still there, however, before I move on this, I just want to see if anyone else had a similar issue like mine in the past & what they maybe did to solve it.

thanks.

Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
Hi BDFI and Welcome:)
What was the battery doing for all that time?
A dead battery will cause all sorts of electrical issues.

Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
I would be looking at earthing issues...green earth cable, connections and rusty fixings.
I've not heard of wipers when indicating but earth problems often show up as something else seeming to be powered when lights, indicators or brakes come on.

And don't ignore battery, as Brendan says, poor battery can cause all sorts of issues and if it has stood flat for 13 months, the battery is goosed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi BDFI and Welcome:)
What was the battery doing for all that time?
A dead battery will cause all sorts of electrical issues.
Thanks for the welcome & reply, the battery was flat, it charged up ok but does lose charge I would say quickly if the car isnt running for a few days, the alternator was done in too, so it was changed out for a working one, I bought the car knowing most of the faults as it is a nice motor & I have another one identical to it, but with a body kit & its petrol & every thing works on it.

just a bit annoying as I am surd its easy fixes, bug just hard to pinpoint the exact item thats causing the issue, that said, it is interesting to trouble shoot too & get it all sorted.

Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
Thirty days is about as long as a battery can sit and have any hope of not suffering damage from sulphating of the plates which limits it's ability to accept and deliver charge. It will result in the voltage dropping very low <10 Volts at cranking at which point the monitoring devices assume the worst and flag all kinds of false alarms. Diesels suffer more because of the relatively large power required to crank.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Brendan, I have to admit that I had pondering thoughts on the battery being almost done although if does charge up & the initial issue was the alternator not charging & windows not working, so the previous owner left the car just sitting as lost interest, so now you have kinda rekindled my 1st thought of maybe replacing the battery for new, I may just get a new battery along with a new wiper motor which will start the process of elimination to get the car back to 100% working order as it in nice nick.

Just to add on here, I am only going for a new wiper motor as the one on I am sure is original one, but lookin poorly & I read on here too that at times the parking sensor on the motor do play up, so I will replace the motor for new & will keep updates on here as I hope anyone reading this thread & have any other info that may help out, will add in on here 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha ha, well am Scottish so I am a firm believer in being stingy lol, I will go for battery first then, see what happens & take it from there. I am only doing this to the renault as I said before, its in not bad nick & has nothing rust wise underneath or topside & only has 80k milage, drives real good too & will make a good 2nd car to go about in.

Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
With DD here, battery first and as mentioned earlier, damp is a definite possibility after that long a layup.
Second thoughts, it never rains in Scotland.... :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the replies & help here, received the new battery yesterday & fitted today an Jings, Crivins, Help Ma Bob, issue of the wipers moving when revving & any electrics are operated is solved, so that in my book is a winner, so thank you again guys.

I did remove the Body Control Unit for a dry off just in case & the Engine Bay Fusebox, now while I had the fusebox out, I obviously checked all the fuses & found 1 x 7.5amp fuse blown, I have no idea what it is for as just cannot find any info on what the fuses in there are for, but all working good now.

My next tackle tomorrow is to look at the display for the radio that sits on top of the dash as it is like not displaying anything but a line & also along with the fan control / display & fan not going full speed, so again it has to be moisture related am sure, but there are plenty 2nd hand bits on e bay if I find anything serious.

Also just to end here, this site has so much information that is truly helpful & can save anyone a small fortune, I was thinking with my issues, BCU or Engine bay fusebox would be the issue, however, just taking a wee bit of time finding the info on here about the Body control unit, then further investigating on the net with the info, I realised that my BCU was or seems to be fine as all the tell tale indications that flag up when the Body control unit is faulty, thankfully my car hasn鈥檛 any of them.

Just added some pics of the wasp nest that was in the car when bought so you will see that it had been sitting for some time & some other pics one which is the new cables I put on the rear windows which are very easy to do, I also made a video changing them along with repairing the window original regulators, I will get them online & pop in a link.
Wood Natural material Twig Tints and shades Metal

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

Computer cooling Electrical wiring Computer hardware Auto part Cable

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Auto part
Rectangle Gadget Font Box Electric blue
Car Vehicle Steering wheel Steering part Personal luxury car
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper
Wood Natural material Twig Tints and shades Metal
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Auto part
Computer cooling Electrical wiring Computer hardware Auto part Cable

Car Vehicle Steering wheel Steering part Personal luxury car

Rectangle Gadget Font Box Electric blue

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, If you can describe which is the blown fuse (i.e. which row and which number in the row) then someone on here will be able to tell you what the fuse is supposed to be for.
O gosh, I honestly didn't look & looking at my picture, there are a few 7.5 amps in there, I just remember it was at the end, but no worries as I have a few things I want to clean up in the bay area & will have the fuse box out again, so will have a re-check to ensure they are still all good & may just take a few pics plus if any fuse is blown, the site here will be my first shout.

Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
Getting there.
If you had found that wasp's nest in the summer, a gallon of petrol and a match may have been called for.

Pics and info always appreciated, that way others may benefit, so thanks in advance and for the updates to date.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To any one looking in on this post, I am going to start a new thread regarding the window regulators & changing the rear window cables as I made a couple of vids while doing them, so I will do this soon & pop the links on & it may help others with same issues & hopefully save on costs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts