Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Many thanks for the welcome messages it does seem a friendly forum.

I have searched the threads but can't find the answer to my problem so I will ask. (Probably in the wrong area sorry if it is)

Does anyone know where the fuel filter is on a Laguna estate 1.8 16v. I know its got one as I have just purchased a replacement from a main dealer but I can not for the life of me find it.

My problem started today with a missfire under acceleration. The engine is happy to run at a constant speed when it gets there but when accelerating it seems to be suffering from fuel starvation.

The only way to get it to pull away at a junction is to switch the engine off and then back on again. It then runs okay for about 50 yds and the problem returns. ( i am guessing the pump pressurises the lines and all is well for a while)

I suspect the fuel filter but can't find it .

Anyone help please

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
What age is your car,Planmeca?.If it's the same as mine I'll go and have a look for you in a minute!.:)

Your problem sounds more coil related,though......:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Lagdti

Its a Renault Laguna (year 2000 on a W Plate) 1.8 16v Estate (Alize)

Hope you can point me in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Yep,thats the same as mine...:)

I think it should be in front of the fuel tank under the car,but I'll go out and get some pics and post them in a mo....back soon.:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Here goes....:)

Jack the back of the car up using the jacking point under the sill,and put an axle stand under it just in case the jack collapses....

If you climb under the back of the car and slide fowards,you will see the filter directly in the centre of the car behind the rear axle and infront of the tank.

To remove it,there are clips in the ends of the pipe on either end of the filter(you can see one green one in the picture).Push these in gently,and the pipe should pull off the filter.Becareful not to get any petrol in your eyes because it stings like f###!.Make sure you know which direction the filter comes off,too.There should be an arrow to mark the direction of flow,or the ends will be marked 'IN' and 'OUT'.The filter just slides in and out of it's plastic cage.Once you've changed it,run the car and check for leaks.:)

Don't change it with a fag in your mouth,either,unless you want a great big barbeque....:d

Hope that helps.:)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Jeez Lag did you just go out and take Pics for this post, That is real dedication to helping people on the Forums.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fuel filter

Hi Lagdti

Absolutely amazing reply. I have been on several forums but have never seen service like this.

I will let you know tommorow if changing the filter solves the problem.

Many Many Many thanks You are a star.
Thanks also to everyone who replied.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
lagdti,
next time you`re feeling bored do you fancy driving a couple of hundred miles (Liverpool) and sorting my Scenic out. I`ll get you a ticket for a match, bacon butties and a tray of pop?

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wrong

Hi Lagdti

Found the filter and replaced it and guess what, it still does the same.

Unfortunately I need the car for my work so I had no choice but to commit the ultimate sin and book it into a Renault dealer.(god that hurts to say)

If it is a coil I will be gutted as they are available on ebay for about 60 quid for the set and I cant see the dealer coming in at anywhere near that.

They are looking at it tommorow so I will update you when I know more.

I will definately be talking to you again as my wife's Clio has a few problems.

Just for information the Laguna has now done 218,000 miles so I guess it doesn't owe me much.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update on fuel filter

Hello all.

Just though I would update you on the state of my Laguna.

I took it to the renault dealer yesterday morning and within half an hour they phoned to say that they had located the problem. The oxygen sensor had failed (Lambda). Cost to repair. £203.00. Ouch!

Ok I said lets do it to which he replied it is not always possible to get the sensor out but we will try.

Telephoned 4 hours later to say they had got it out after soaking it in release oil and they were just about to fit the new one then I can have it back.

Telephoned me 15 minutes later to say the thread had been ripped out during the sensor removal and I need a new exhaust manifold.

Got the car back tonight and it hasn,t pulled that well in a long time. Could it be that my wallet is now £803.06 lighter and the car is pulling less weight now because of that. Even bigger OUCH!

Thanks again to everyone who replied especially lagtdi.
you were and are a star.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello all.

Just though I would update you on the state of my Laguna.

I took it to the renault dealer yesterday morning and within half an hour they phoned to say that they had located the problem. The oxygen sensor had failed (Lambda). Cost to repair. £203.00. Ouch!

Ok I said lets do it to which he replied it is not always possible to get the sensor out but we will try.

Telephoned 4 hours later to say they had got it out after soaking it in release oil and they were just about to fit the new one then I can have it back.

Telephoned me 15 minutes later to say the thread had been ripped out during the sensor removal and I need a new exhaust manifold.

Got the car back tonight and it hasn,t pulled that well in a long time. Could it be that my wallet is now £803.06 lighter and the car is pulling less weight now because of that. Even bigger OUCH!

Thanks again to everyone who replied especially lagtdi.
you were and are a star.

Ouch .

My sympathies.

Regards

ottoman
:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like a fuel filter problem, however, if changing the fuel filter doesn't work, check the vacuum tube to the MAP sensor for any holes.

If it draws in air, the ecu gets confused simple as that.

The MAP sensor is usually located on the passenger side at the top of the engine bay bulkhead.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
You have to remove the tank unit,this can lead to allsorts of problems and really it's best left alone.

What problems are you having?.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts