Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a problem that I need advice on,
My Clio 1.5 tdi 's Fuel gauge never reads full, but as I get low the Gauge and digital "miles remaining" begin to tally up

About 3 weeks ago I "brimmed" the tank, the gauge only went to 3/4 full but the "miles remaining"/ MPG worked out to within a couple of litres of what I actually put in so at the moment i'm willing to trust the digital readout over the gauge,

Now if the gauge operates like a percentage then it at this moment "miles remaining"/MPG means I have about 2 Gallons left in the tank and the Gauge now looks like it tallys up (just below the first white line)

Why does the gauge never display "full" ???

Also there is no long period before it moves after a fill up so I don't think its stuck

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
My gauge from new read the same 3 parts full when the tank was overflowing Renault reset the OBC with no change, then decided to change the sender unit in the tank which cured the problem.

If you go the same with a DIY route please be aware the tank needs to be almost empty to start with, the sender replaced & the tank refitted within about an hour, being made of plastic the flange on the tank warps & can end up scrap, thus costing mucho ££sssssss.

BTW after the job is done, the car stinks of petrol for days. :eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha so nothing to look forward to then!

Knowing that this isn't an isolated problem I feel a lot better

For the moment I think I will just use the digital readout as my gauge, I rarely let it run low (even though it currently is haha) so it shouldn't cause me that much of an issue

Thanks,

Chris

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Its not likely, but something may be obstructing the float from going all the way up, or maybe someone has been in there before and slightly bent the wire holding the float, may be worth a look in to see if there is anything obvious!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts