Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife has just phoned to say that this message has just appeared on the car.

She'd been idling outside the shop while someone ran in, and she felt the car shuddering which she thought was strange so switched it off. Within minutes of switching back on the message popped up.
She said that she switched off for a couple of mins and re-started and it has not yet came up with the message again...no idea if thats good or not?!

Does this sound like the turbo is about blow or is it something else? I've had a search through, and noticed that a few people have mentioned this along with "just had the turbo replaced" so wondering if this is a pre-warning??

It's an 02 1.9dci Privilege with 68500 miles on the clock.

Just looking for a bit of a heads up from someone who knows, before I take it to the local garage and he give it the old [sharp intake of breath] oh its going to cost you! :(

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Hello,

My 1.9dci was doing this aswell, until I took the EGR valve out of the inlet manifold and cleaned it. Whats happening is the plunger on valve is sticking or not moving in the required time period and this flags up a transiant fault. when cleaning make sure the vave seats and shaft are decoked.

My turbo is shot and so is my intercooler but mine has done 127000 miles and its the oil that leaks through the turbo carbonises and clogs the valve, on yours it could hopefully just be a coke build up on the valve, this all seems to be caused by the long service intervals on this engine, realistically it should have an oil change at 9000 mile intervals to prolong the life of the turbo.

Best of luck

Murchin.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When the car arrives home you might be able to tell if it's the turbo intercooler or EGR valve. I had the fault appear on my 52 plate tourer a couple of times and could hear what I thought was air under pressure escaping under the bonnet when accelerating, Renault replaced the intercooler (£300 all in) and has been fine. There is now a whine from the turbo you can hear under slight acceleration that's a big one, the garage say £1000 + but if it needs done then there is little else for it.
I don't know if there is any indication if the ERG is sticking other than the message, but that sounds like a good place to start.
Good luck and I hope it's nothing major.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
heh danby, sorry to hear that sounds costly. What is the £1000 job? Replacing the turbo or something else as well. :eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
A possible problem I knew about when looking for a car but like the looks and ride of the laguna this is my third. That was a guide price from the dealer for the turbo supplied and fitted, think they may have included for a new intercooler in that price but can't be sure. Don't want to worry about it until I have too, car runs fine and does about 80 miles a day on motorway to and from work without a problem for now.
Will just have to deal with it when it happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for the advice guys. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know where to start with cleaning the EGR valve...

The car is due in for a service in the next month or two, would this be looked at as part of the service?

If not, what would approx costs be for askng a garage to check/clean the valve? At least if I have a rough idea of what to expect I'll be in a better position if they start feeding me all sorts of bull!

Thanks again guys, this site is the mutts-nutts :d

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Hello again,

Its not part of the service, but its not a big job either. Only held in with three 10mm bolts and has 1 connector on it, they might charge you an hours labour and the price of a new gasket but any more than that and I'd say they have very big hands to fit all the money they are grabbing.

best of luck with the car, while its in you could ask them to check for play in the turbo spindle, thats not a big job either.

take it easy...

murchin.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi m8
my car has today not started for the first time the faults come on as soon as you push the pedal so i call the rac out and by luck the guy use to work for renault he checked the system code centre and about 9 codes come up, after a few tests he said that renault was the only 1s who could find the fault as they have the equitment to do so, i have gone though the answers from other people and done what they have but now the fault is on all the time so i was wondering what you done to yours and if you still have the fault,
thanks mate
hope to talk soon
Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts