Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, got a v6 24 valve 51 plate laguna estate.
When I receive the warning massage, "warning fuel level low." Just how many miles under normal driving conditions do I have left before I go belly-up and run out of fuel?

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
TBH, I wouldn't like to say/guess how many, as it will vary from car to car, due to the driving conditions & style the vehicle is being used.

Probably the 'safest' method (short of running out of fuel & carrying a can), would be to fill the tank completely when this message appears. As long as you know the tank's capacity, a simple subtraction of what you have dispensed, will tell you how much was in the tank when the message appeared.

If you know roughly what your average fuel economy is, you can estimate how far you could have travelled beyond the initial message.

HTH

Paul

G

·
I would hazard a guess at a distance of around 30 miles on reserve when the low fuel light comes on.

Though as already said best way would be to calculate it out as suggested.

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
Personally I wouldn't trust the onboard computer. There are just too many variables in it calculations.
Firstly fuel tank units aren't precise measuring devices and are easily affectd the variances in voltage. Then the onbord computer only extrapulates from data - it has no means of measuring the exact fuel flow rate. Then there is the risk that each little variation in measurement is magnified resulting in error.:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
check in your handbook it will say in there as a estimate.
on my megane the comp says 40 miles then i get ---- miles the most i have driven like this is probs 30 miles and no probs. then again in my disco 3.0tdi when the comp goes to 70miles the light comes on and it only done 20 miles before it died in the rain. so as said before it really depends on alot of things. best thing to do is treat the 1/4 like your about to run out. that way you never will be empty. mwa ha ha tj

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.