Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys ,
i have a renault kangoo 1.6 16v 2006 with 78k on the clock.
i recently filled up with e10 fuel for the first time after checking the gov.uk website to see if my kangoo was compatable the answer being yes.
at first every thing seemed ok but then i experienced a few stalling episodes, till eventually a bout 10 days later or about 100 miles or so my car refused to start at all.
i was towed to a local garage and the fuel pump had to be replaced costing £391 quid owch!.
i have kept the old pump and took a look a closer look at it, to find the fuel that remained inside it looked very dirty[blackish] when i drained some out. i am now thinking if this e10 fuel had anything to do with it, or is this just a big coincidence.
any advice welcomed
regards
Product Liquid Fluid Plastic bottle Gas
Bumper Gas Rectangle Wood Electric blue

·
Super mod..
29,873 Posts
At 78K the tank will have a significant amount of debris in it..and the pump obviously sucked it up.. dont know at what mileage they recommend a pump clean out but its generally regarded as beneficial on high mileage cars..

Thread moved to electronics..

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,500 Posts
2006 and it should be fully compatible with E10.
Really should not be too much crap in the tank either, was common in metal tanks but not so much (IMO) in plastic ones.
I'm wondering if the garage disturbed gunge in their tanks when emptying to fill with E10?

Did the garage who replaced the pump drain the tank?

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
Fiat Panda Multijet 1300 Diesel
5,298 Posts
Was this during the recent fuel shortage? if so maybe it's been dredged up
from the fuel station tanks as they ran low.
Were you towed by a rescue service? if so you could try asking them if
they had other instances in your area at the same time.

Reactions: Phil48

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was this during the recent fuel shortage? if so maybe it's been dredged up
from the fuel station tanks as they ran low.
Were you towed by a rescue service? if so you could try asking them if
they had other instances in your area at the same time.
hi ,
put fuel in 1st september the first day e10 became available, had a couple of gallon of the old stuff in the tank and added about 5 gallon of new e10.
like i say nothing happened imediately problem progressed over a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At 78K the tank will have a significant amount of debris in it..and the pump obviously sucked it up.. dont know at what mileage they recommend a pump clean out but its generally regarded as beneficial on high mileage cars..

Thread moved to electronics..
hi do you know if the filter is incorporated into the pump unit,
no fuel line filter as far as im aware, so not sure were petrol is filtered - maybe thats were it got blocked.
dont no if its possible to clean it out either-maybe all the other components are ok.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really should not be too much crap in the tank either, was common in metal tanks but not so much (IMO) in plastic ones.
I'm wondering if the garage disturbed gunge in their tanks when emptying to fill with E10?

had petrol from big supermarket chain which i always use, but i think your theory of the garage transferring gunge while putting new e10 fuel in there tanks is a possibility

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

not sure didnt ask but from what i can gather they should clean the taank before putting in new pump unit to prevent same happening again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi ,
put fuel in 1st september the first day e10 became available, had a couple of gallon of the old stuff in the tank and added about 5 gallon of new e10.
like i say nothing happened imediately problem progressed over a couple of weeks.
have phoned breakdown service and technical guy as logged the incident, just in case any future incidents arise that may build a pattern for concern.

·
Super mod..
29,873 Posts
hi do you know if the filter is incorporated into the pump unit,
no fuel line filter as far as im aware, so not sure were petrol is filtered - maybe thats were it got blocked.
dont no if its possible to clean it out either-maybe all the other components are ok.
Yes with this type of pump the body of it has a mesh plastic medium as a filter.. the pump actually looks like this one common to many that use an in tank fuel pump

Font Engineering Cable Auto part Event

1 - 10 of 10 Posts