Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got any experience, good or bad, of using magnets clipped onto the fuel line as fuel savers?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Mike - This so-called fuel saving device has been around for about 40 years or so and has been tried on many fuel systems including cars, trucks aircraft, heating boilers and to date I have not heard or seen any independent data to back the claims made. If this idea was a success why do the motor manufacturers not use it. See below a link to an american report of 1982 some 25 years ago.:confused:

http://www.epa.gov/orcdizux/consumer/devices/pb83181115.pdf

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
These fuel savers are excellent...........

..........for generating income for their manufacturers.:rolleyes:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear what you are all saying but nobody has PROVED that they don't work anyway I've found something similar in my tool box ( a magnet that clips on a water pipe to stop limesacale) and since a magnet is a magnet then I'll try fitting it to see if there is any documentable evidence to substanciate any claims for improving MPG.
Madnoel10 I read the report and there was some evidence quoted for better MPG (13% I think) so I'll give it a go and report back my findings.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
I would imagine that the changes, if any, would be to insignificant to notice. Unless of course you do a "Ground Hog Day";) .

I'd still be intrigued to know your findings though.

Good luck:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Mike - if you read the report closely you will find that the findings submitted by the inventor were not belived to have been done under controlled or fair conditions. It appears a number of vehicles were tested but there was no control group involved. In many of these claims ther is also the placebo effect - in other words if you believe it works you are more than half-way convinced. Ideally you would need to have a large study group of vehicles some fitted with the magnet, some without and some with a dummy one fitted. I often wonder if any of the inventors have done a study and found no difference or worse performance have ever submitted there findings. Maybe if you fitted about 20 magnets could you get the car to run on fresh air :d - it has long been established altering the position or flow of molecules in a fuel is more than negated by the combustion process. But hey if it costs you nothing why not give it a go. Don't forget to keep us updated.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Magnets increasing fuel economy, complete and utter bunkum.....

The only way you can change the physical state of petrol or diesel, for the production of horsepower, is to either set it on fire, or compress it.

Magnets apparently changing the molecular structure of fuel is not to put a fine word on it, rubbish.

Drive with windows closed, take your foot off the gas, don't use the car for short journeys etc etc, if you need to save fuel.

cbrcarts....:)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I would classify this along with the copper bracelets which cure all ills.

Petrol and diesel are organic compounds composed of carbon and hydrogen - neither of which have the classic ferrous trait of being attracted/repelled by magnets or magnetic fields.

Have to agree with what's already been said by the sceptics - there is so much pressure these days to reduce emissions, and increase mpg - it would be an easy (and cheap) hit for the manufacturers to fit this - if it worked...

Paul:)

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Have to agree with the bunk theory, as stated if they saved fuel to that extent they would be fitted by manufacturers, there was an older post on the same subject a while ago and most of the comments were a minus.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Yeh these gadgets have been on the go for around 50 years - my dad remembers similar ideas just after the second world war. It seems they wait on a new generation of motorists to come along and then repackage and rewrite the advertising mumbo jumbo. Over this time they must have made millions - just wish I could come up with an idea that the gullable would buy without trading standards jumping all over me. No doubt the internet has been a godsend to them.:)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Suppose it has gone on for many years, Snake oil, Love potions etc where there is something to gain for nothing con artists will always be around and people think this is the one ........................

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
The TV programme "Mythbusters" did a test on these and other "fuel savers" .... result BUSTED .... (not claiming Adam and Jamie are at all scientific in their methods :p )

You could try rolling a trouser leg up and using worrybeads while driving .... its likely to be as effective :d

·
Registered
63 Posts
Doesn't work...
but if you have ever stripped a gearbox or diff which has a magnet in it, as some do.. you would be horrified at the metallic dust flower formed on it... so..
I think you would do better attaching it to the side of your engine oil filter... this attracks the metallic dust onto this spot inside the filter, which then gets thrown away at the next filter change..

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Ivan - nice bit of lateral thinking about sticking a magnet to the oil filter but to get a magnet powerful enough to extract the metallic particles from a micronic filter it would need to be a big as the engine so would probably be counter productive. Modern engine produce little or no metallic bits unlessed damaged. Same with gearboxes - its usually noticed the magnet in the gearbox is covered in metallics particles when it is being stripped down because there is a problem.:confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts