Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I bought a new black 1.6 VVT S Dynamique model with leather seats (it was just sitting there in the showroom, and I decided this is mine, he he).

I traded in my yellow/black Smart roadster, great drivers car, brilliant road holding but it was as wet inside as the titanic, requiring loads of mini-dehumidifiers everywhere to suck up damp.

There does not seem that many Winds in the UK roads at present, I assume due to the initial high price tag, it has now been reduced by four grand on my model, to make it more competively priced.

First question is for admin....
Wonder if Admin could put a new section up for the Renault Wind, if it is possible.

Wind info seems to be spread everywhere on the forum rather than a dedicated section.

So back to my new car. I love it in black, It holds the road great, great exhaust sound, as its the 1.6 cleo engine, I decided on that as you can get both models ie 1.6 cleo engine and 1.2 twingo engine now for a similar price.

I went for the 1.6 cleo engine as I had read on forums that the twingo 1.2 gearbox has had quite a number of faults with clutch and box.

The interior of the car is a bit poor on the plastic, but i want to get it leather covered soon, so not bothering about the naff factory finish too much. Should be around £450 for a decent job covering dash, doors and sundries. I got that done on my roadster at that price, and it made all the difference to give it a classy look. Will be nice in the winds cabin.

The exterior of the car I do worry about, as it has no protective side strips on the doors like a lot of new cars, so you always end up with dents in the door in carparks.

I will remedy this with some stick on strips from another manufacturer like Toyota or Honda, just got to measure it up and as the car is black the strips should blend in. Good thinking in advance there.

The hole where you place your hand to open the door will get fingernail scratched after a few years, just like my old Renault 5 that I had years ago. They did do stick on chrome protectors for it, so maybe they do that for the Wind as well. will look into that.

The roof operation is brilliant, a lot less complex than the soft top roadster I had. The wind deflector is not that good, get buffeted with windows up, argh !, will consider doing a modification using some old wind deflectors I have in my garage.

I have owned convertables for years so I am well pleased with this one so far. Just hope it will be more reliable than my old renault 5.

Anyway as a new car the wind is under warrenty, so will enjoy it as its still quite a rare car on the road at present. Cheers Colin.

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
Hi Colin and welcome.

I've passed your request to Admin_Steve for consideration & implementation.

Enjoy your new purchase!

Best wishes,

Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Its been two and a half months now since I bought my Wind.

Its still pretty unique on the road, very few of them available, mainly due to overpricing i may add.

As I said I got mine discount from new due to desperation to get them off the sales forecourt, as no-one was buying one. Since then another £2k has been taken off them in the UK, so it is now around the price I paid.

You can now get a new 1.2 for around £11.5k, but you are better getting my model the 1.6 cleo engine/gearbox for another grand on top, as the gearbox is more robust, unlike the 1.2 twingo engine/gearbox.

Its worth it because you do get the more powerful engine.

Faults so far....
Hinged Boot rattle, thats part of the roof mechanism (sorted under warrenty).
And more serious getting squeaky brakes just after it rains (has been in twice, but they still squeak occasionally, and I have demanded new type pads to sort it, they say, which are on order).

Anyone else getting this in their Wind?
Renaults used to be notorius for squeaky brakes, My renault 5 squeaked like mad.

Running.....
The car can get a bit noisy on long motorway runs, its the exhaust noise, but who cares, because once on A and B roads, I can have fun.

If you do not like the exhaust note, then go for the quieter 1.2.

Petrol consumption is ok, but not brilliant, to be expected with a 1.6. Its in the 30 to 35 MPG bracket, depending on pedal to the metal.

The boot is still small no matter what they say about it not changing capacity, with roof up or down, it is still small.

You have to be carefull what you pack when going away for a weekend holiday, as it does not hold much, but, hey, you do not expect a lot of space in a 2 seater converible. It is adequate.

OVERALL....
The car is running fine with the exception of occasional squeak from the brakes, to be sorted soon, I hope.

The speed of the roof operation is amazing !

It is still an eyeturner, and enjoying driving it, roof up or better still roof down :cool:

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
Fiat Panda Multijet 1300 Diesel
5,409 Posts
Not usually my cup of tea and I have never seen one on the road but looking at the adds I like the look of that and the reduced price is tempting.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
nice looking cars i have seen 2 out and about on the roads of glasgow just to small for me, when you say Petrol consumption is ok, but not brilliant, to be expected with a 1.6. Its in the 30 to 35 MPG bracket i take it thats around town? the best i have had from my 1.6 meg cc was 42-44 on a run here is a photo i took of the mpg 1 time after a run dont mind the drity dash clocks i had the roof down all day so was way dusty my excuse any way as i do clean the car now and then lol by the way this isnt the 42 mpg time lol

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
I'm looking at your instrument panel Hoochy - have you got the only 4-dr cc in the world?:d

Paul

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I'm looking at your instrument panel Hoochy - have you got the only 4-dr cc in the world?:d

Paul
pmsl well i think its the norm dash in all the extreme ccs or some 1 has welded up the rear doors and cut my roof off lol:eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not usually my cup of tea and I have never seen one on the road but looking at the adds I like the look of that and the reduced price is tempting.
Yeh, car manufactures always overprice convertibles in the UK, then a few years later they drop the price down when it is no longer the latest shiny model just off the production line.

But they got caught out with the recession and money is a bit tight for most. Hence the drop in price so quickly.

Quite honestly, I usually wait a year or two till a new car have a proven track record, and all inhearent faluts are known and hopefully sorted out in the next batch, but I did an impuse buy and took one straight from first production.

Mind you, so far the only irritating fault is the occasional squeak from the brake pads, and Renault have said all the latest winds coming off production, are getting pads with the leading edges more chamfered, and some different anti-squeal shims, and that should sort it out. Must have been due to customer complaints (sorry, feedback :d)

I have my pads on back order, and should be fitted sometime this month. so no complaints about the aftersales service so far.

nice looking cars i have seen 2 out and about on the roads of glasgow just to small for me, when you say Petrol consumption is ok, but not brilliant, to be expected with a 1.6. Its in the 30 to 35 MPG bracket i take it thats around town? .....
Yes, you are correct that is driving around town a lot.

It should be better on motorways.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.