Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

As soon as I fix one problem another starts..... Anyway, George Jr has started making a funny grinding noise. It sounds like its coming from the front drivers side and doesn't happen all the time.

I've taken it to the garage and they have checked the brakes, discs and have come to the conclusion that it might be the drive shaft moving..... Anyway I can get rid of the noise, its driving me crazy and even a loud stereo cant blank out the noise!!!

If anyone can help me I'd be most grateful!! (God I sound like such a girl!!!) :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is the noise more audible on turning? If so, guess it could indicate problem with CV joint.
Did the garage check the wheel bearing?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The noise seems to stop when i turn the steering wheel to the left, the garage checked the wheel bearings all fine....
I drove the car today with no noise, it seems to come and go??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The noise doesn't alter with speed or application of the brakes and happens on any road surface.

It seems to start at 20mph onwards and really does come and go. Once it starts the noise is the same at pretty much any speed. The only way we have managed to stop the noise is by turning the wheel to the left slightly whilst going along. Unfortunately doing this for a prolongued time means you drive into a hedge/wall/ditch:crazy: When you straigten the wheel back up the noise starts again.

We tried it on an empty dual carriageway the other evening and you can start and stop the noise by doing a gentle zig zag from one side of the road to the other! Not the safest way to drive though!:rofl:

A guy I spoke to said it could mean a driveshaft needs replacing?

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Sounds like a wheel bearing to me - as you zig-zag you vary the load on it - in fact that's how many mechanics actually test for a worn bearing.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Still got the noise?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

As soon as I fix one problem another starts..... Anyway, George Jr has started making a funny grinding noise. It sounds like its coming from the front drivers side and doesn't happen all the time.

I've taken it to the garage and they have checked the brakes, discs and have come to the conclusion that it might be the drive shaft moving..... Anyway I can get rid of the noise, its driving me crazy and even a loud stereo cant blank out the noise!!!

If anyone can help me I'd be most grateful!! (God I sound like such a girl!!!) :p
Naomi, have you found out the noise was, because my clio has just started making a loud grinding noise?

The noise only seems to happen as soon as I hit third gear about 25 - 30mph. We've had the car rolling down hill (in neutral with clutch down and up) and with the engine running and off!
And still the noise persists!

Was this similar to the noise that you had? And what was done to solve it?

Thanks for your help

Anthony

*Edit* Ok, just seen the rest of the thread!!

I don't think the noise I have is the same, as it is constant, and doesn't alter with steering!

If any one has any idea? Please

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

It's almost certaintly a wheel bearing,try jacking up each wheel in turn and spinning it by hand.You'll hear the grinding noise from the offending bearing.

Checking for free movement in the wheel side to side or top and bottom is pointless when looking for a worn bearing.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
You could try resting a finger on the suspension spring as you spin the wheel - it seems to act as an amplifier to wheel bearing grumbles:) This trick isn't fool-proof but has worked for me on many occassions but you need to compare both sides to get a feel for it:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's almost certaintly a wheel bearing,try jacking up each wheel in turn and spinning it by hand.You'll hear the grinding noise from the offending bearing.

Checking for free movement in the wheel side to side or top and bottom is pointless when looking for a worn bearing.
You could try resting a finger on the suspension spring as you spin the wheel - it seems to act as an amplifier to wheel bearing grumbles:) This trick isn't fool-proof but has worked for me on many occassions but you need to compare both sides to get a feel for it:)

Thanks Lagdti and madnoel10, we'll try that!

But. what makes me think its not a wheel bearing is because we've replaced one before, and the noise was different.

This noise is so *much* louder, and its constant, it doesn't change in pitch when going faster, or slower, or even when turning.
It's also not there at speeds below 20!

We'll give it a try anyway!

Hello and welcome to the forum.:)
Thanks! I've been here a couple of times before, but this is my first posting

Thanks for your help, I'll keep you updated
Anthony

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clio Mk2 1998 Making A Strange Winding Noise

Hello Every 1

Right When Start My Journey After 10 Mins When I Am Doing From 30mph I Hear A Winding Noise It Is Not Engine Related As It Sounds More With Clutch In Or In Neutral Or Engine Off But When I Accelerate It Is Quiter

oh an my wheel vibrates a little when it makes the noise

Is This Maby A Wheel Bearing and it must be one of the front wheels as it vibrates a little

thanks
adam:crazy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts