Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I've had a Renault Scenic Fidji 2003 1.9dCi for about 4 years now.

Its never ran all that well (as the engine management light would come on and the car would lose power) but recently after MOT and service it started to act quite strange.

The power was completely gone and when put onto the computer it said the fault was with the EGR valve. We had it looked at but the EGR valve was clean as we'd had a 2nd hand one put in couple of years back. Anyway with no money for any big fixes we had to drive on with top speed of 40mph.

I then noticed that sometimes the power would kick back in intermittently and finally figured out that if I stopped the car and left it out of gear ticking over for about 10 secs then the power will kick in everytime with top speed of bout 90mph now.

If I turn the key off and on again the power will be gone and again and I will have to repeat the process. Local mechanics are unsure what it could be and have quoted me near the cars worth to get injectors and other things I cant remember checked.

Has this every happened to anyone before? Hoping someone could shed some light on it.

Thanks

·
remember Murphy never sleeps
8,239 Posts
hi obi and welcome to the forum.first thing I would do is replace the fuel filter and check the old one very carefully then see if gets any better cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

When we had it serviced the filters were all changed including the usual oil change etc.

This is actually when the power started to come back on and off.

Hoping someones gonna have had this happen before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi John,

Ye we had the filters changed few months back during the service and this is actually when the power started to come back in and out.

I've read a lot about blanking the EGR valve. Is it possible that the EGR is restricting the power as the computer says the error is with the EGR?

·
8,239 Posts
hi can see we are having to drag the full problem out of you so before we go anywhere does it smoke a lot,when it decides to go does the warning light go off cheers come back

·
8,239 Posts
hi while waiting for your answers please also tell what does it say on your dash is electronic fault. also is it hard to start cheers

·
8,239 Posts
hi again,do you work on the car your self? or do you take it to a garage,only asking before start offering suggesting you can try cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't work on it myself except for a window alternator that I changed, maybe a few light bulbs. that's it.

I have a decent mechanic but they say that I could spend money on it without ever fixing the problem for sure so i'd like to narrow it down.

·
8,239 Posts
hi do you think you could check the glow plugs? lots of information if you do a search on here if you can do a alternater glow plugs should be a doddle cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts